Beverly Hills Cop 3

General discussion about Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
Pictoriumguy
Buzzy Bee

Beverly Hills Cop 3

Post by Pictoriumguy »

Hi all,
I was just watching Beverly Hills Cop 3 last night and WOW! There are a lot of great shots of the edge and sky whirl. Anyway was anyone there on the day of filming and did they actually bring in new rides just for the movie?? And during the amazing sky whirl scene does anyone know whether or not they actually dropped a sky whirl cage and does anyone know how eddie murphy(or his stunt double) was capable of jumping from one arm of sky whirl to the next?
Thanks
BTW: If you haven't seen this movie, RENT IT! It was filmed in Santa Clara and there are so many scenes of great america during the 80s.
AND is there really an underground facility at PGA???
Tanya
Willard's Whizzer

Post by Tanya »

I visited the park while the park was being set up for filming (they may have started some filming) and have some home video. They brought in several kiddie rides and placed them in the County Fair area. And the shot I have of the Sky Whirl shows there is one cage hanging loose. Didn't see any actual filming so don't know how the stunt was done. Maybe it wasn't far off the ground???
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Re: Beverly Hills Cop 3

Post by RLAiello »

Pictoriumguy wrote:BTW: If you haven't seen this movie, RENT IT! It was filmed in Santa Clara and there are so many scenes of great america during the 80s.
AND is there really an underground facility at PGA???
There never was, and never will be, an underground facility at either Great America. That was just Hollywood magic. :)

I did like that movie ONLY for the use of Great America in it. Other than that it's kind of a stupid movie. :) I loved the Sky Whirl shots too and always wondered about the cabin. Surely they got a spare to destroy or something. Maybe it was broken anyway.

Not that it matters now, of course. :cry:
Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

Here is a photo of a crashed cabin from the movie

Last edited by redfishpaw on Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

That movie was made in the 90's not the 80s I mean you see Top Gun and many other rides that were built in the 90s. I am expecially glad that movie was made though, I loved being able to see a video of Sky Whirl from many angles becuase I never got a chnace to ride it.
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

A bit of trivia about Beverly Hills Cop III that you may or may not know about...

The name of the park in the movie was WonderWorld. John Landis directed Eddie Murphy in Beverly Hills Cop III. Earlier, Landis also directed him in Trading Places. It was 1994 when Beverly Hills Cop III was released, ten years after the original Beverly Hills Cop, in 1984. The first two BHC movies were based more on comedic plots, than ones involving action. BHC III was had many more slapstick and action scenes than comedy. Production was temporarily put to a halt to let the Paramount execs try to control the film's spiraling budget. Originally estimated at $55 million, it would soon go over $70 million. Of that budget, $15 million was Eddie Murphy's paycheck. The movie grossed 12 million in the first weekend and 42 million domestically during its run. They say "three is a charm", but of the three movies, BHC III was the "weakest link".
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

I was told that before I hauled away the three rescued Sky Whirl / Triple Wheel cabins, the only time any of the cabins had been removed from the park was for the "Beverly Hills Cop III" movie. Apparently three cabins were sent down to Hollywood for reference use in creating the dummy cabins for the crash.

Steven
Tanya
Willard's Whizzer

Post by Tanya »

I finally got around to capturing these shots off video. The quality is bad, but at least they are here.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
twixmix0303
Yankee Clipper

Post by twixmix0303 »

Is there something wrong with this cabin?
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

That was where they did the rescue scene. That is puropsly loose like that.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
Tanya
Willard's Whizzer

Post by Tanya »

Yep, that one was hanging loose.
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

Here is a BHC III call sheet
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Lol, I was just thinking about how Pga is theming the rides to movies, riiight. So what if they themed Sky whirl to be The Spider? (Even though this would never happen in anyones right mind) Do you think it would have been spared for more years?
coolwavepic
Gulf Coaster

Post by coolwavepic »

I remembering visiting SC post Beverly Hills Cop 3 and I remember one of the arms missing a cabin. Did they actually drop a real cabin? Can anyone verify this? and does anyone have pics of the Tripple Wheel missing that cabin?
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

coolwavepic wrote:I remembering visiting SC post Beverly Hills Cop 3 and I remember one of the arms missing a cabin. Did they actually drop a real cabin? Can anyone verify this? and does anyone have pics of the Tripple Wheel missing that cabin?
If you refer back to Steven's post earlier in this thread. You'll see that he indicated that dummy cabins were made for the movie.