Little Red Schoolhouse

General discussion about Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
GreatAmerica4ever
Yankee Clipper

Little Red Schoolhouse

Post by GreatAmerica4ever »

What services were at the Red Schoolhouse in the Hometown Square? I know that Lost Children and First Aid services were held there. Does/Did Great America have a nurse at the schoolhouse?

Does anyone have any interesting stories that many guests while working there? Fortunately, this is one building many guests don't have much knowledge of.
shamiasbarber
Buzzy Bee

Re: Little Red Schoolhouse

Post by shamiasbarber »

GreatAmerica4ever wrote:What services were at the Red Schoolhouse in the Hometown Square? I know that Lost Children and First Aid services were held there. Does/Did Great America have a nurse at the schoolhouse?

Does anyone have any interesting stories that many guests while working there? Fortunately, this is one building many guests don't have much knowledge of.
The services offered at the Little Red School are; Lost Parents, First Aid and Lost and Found. There isn't a nurse on staff but GA does have its own in-house paramedics.
Tech Services 1
Willard's Whizzer

Post by Tech Services 1 »

There was a full-time, year-round registered nurse on staff at the Schoolhouse in the old days. She repaired me more than a few times.
Boy, she had a reputation for being a stickler for THOROUGHLY cleaning wounds. Betadine, hot water and little scrub brushes- not fun! :shock: I speak from experience!
But hey, she did a good job. You can hardly see my scars anymore! :o

They also conducted CPR certification for us permanent employees, and other first aid classes.

As I recall, the contracted paramedics first came on the scene in the mid 80's.

-PPG
Technical Services technician
Gurnee park '81 - '86

Eegads, has it been that long?
retlawfan
Yankee Clipper

Post by retlawfan »

I believe at CGA, the full time nurse on staff retired about a year or two ago. At that point, I think her position was replaced with an EMT (much cheaper).

In the old days, at Santa Clara, there was a full time nurse, and a few EMTs for during the operating season.
Great America Security
Santa Clara
1989-1992
Papas
Yankee Clipper

Post by Papas »

Betadine, hot water and little scrub brushes- not fun! I speak from experience!
Good to know im not the only one who's had that experience more than once.
James
Buzzy Bee

Post by James »

I can DEFINITELY say there was a nurse on staff!

I was helping clean up Klondike Cafe pre-season and got squirted between the eyes with
a mix of window cleaner and something called "Grease Strip" (someone thought the
window was closed). I was rushed to first aid and had to describe the accident while
staring at an eyewash station and then had to ride in a security jeep with another
solution (in cups taped to my eyes) to i think it was O'Connor Hospital.
Sweeper77
Buzzy Bee

Post by Sweeper77 »

My mom was one of the nurses at Gurnee's Great America. I don't think she was the one that scrubbed with a scrub brush, since I didn't get that treatment at home :).
However, I have to say my biggest memory of the little red school house was when I went back as a parent and had my own lost child.
My son was found and brought to the School house, I knew exactly how to get to the employee entrance, and so headed out on my own, with Security trailing behind me, telling me I couldn't go that way...of course I could and ignored the "helpful" directions through the park.
We were united safe and sound, I was a wreak, but my son was happily playing in the school house.