gurnee and santa clara positives and negatives

General discussion about Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
missedthemarriotera
Yankee Clipper

gurnee and santa clara positives and negatives

Post by missedthemarriotera »

what are some of the things that make gurnee better then santa clara, and some things that make santa clara better than gurnne? i've only been to gurnee... so i'd like to know if it would be worth going from wisconsin to california to see it :lol:
ahahaha
MGA1
Willard's Whizzer

Post by MGA1 »

Well, I worked in Gurnee from '77-'82 and Santa Clara from '90-'91. The parks started as near-clones in 1976. Gurnee had a few more rides than Santa Clara when the parks first opened. After Marriott's sold the parks, the parks started to move in different directions. By 1991, both parks had many differences but still resembled each other. Later, Paramount bought the Santa Clara park and made many many changes...rezoning and renaming many of the original themed areas and removing the train so you can see from the Front Gate all the way to what was the Hometown Grand Music Hall. The parks are now very different. IMHO, SFGA has more/larger coasters than Santa Clara.
"...and enjoy the rest of your day here at Marriott's GRRRREAT America"
missedthemarriotera
Yankee Clipper

ohhh... thanks so much!!! :lol: would you think its worth going to check it out, if your a type of person who likes huge coasters and all that???
ahahaha
the Crypt Cruiser
Gulf Coaster

Post by the Crypt Cruiser »

I'd say it's worth it. CGA still has a lot of charm and some decent coasters. I wish it was closer to me. You can go to SF Discovery Kingdom on the same trip. You will definately have fun, even if it's just exploring the differences. :D
missedthemarriotera
Yankee Clipper

thanks!!! i will try to check it out in 2009...
ahahaha