Octopus?? errr not??

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Octopus?? errr not??

Post by that_guy »

I absolutely Love this picture of the Tidal Wave:

http://www.greatamericaparks.com/sg/rid ... ave015.jpg

But I was wondering what the red/black ride in the background is? Is it one of those octopus rides?
SFGAmLover
Yankee Clipper

Post by SFGAmLover »

It's Lobster, a Schwarzkopf monster/polyp ride. It's no longer in SC, but it remains in Gurnee as East River Crawler.

Below is a picture of Crawler with its purple color scheme. I've always liked how the eyes of the lobster light up.

http://www.flatrides.com/Ride%20Index/S ... fPolyp.jpg
WARNING: This message was composed on a computer in a household where peanuts and peanut products are served.
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Cool, Do you have any idea of when it was taken out of Santa Clara becuase I once and a while visit the SC park to look for remains of past rides from Marriott, next year I want to take a picture of the foundation of the Tidal Wave before they demolish it.
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

One of the differences between the two parks was that each Lobster was from a different manufacturer. The Gurnee Lobster was a Schwarzkopf polyp as has been mentioned already. The Santa Clara Lobster was an Eyerly Monster.

Steven
SFGAmLover
Yankee Clipper

Post by SFGAmLover »

Steven... thanks for the info! I did not know this about the SC ride.
WARNING: This message was composed on a computer in a household where peanuts and peanut products are served.
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Whats the difference from the Polyp and the Eyerly Monster? Did they look/do anything different from each other?
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

The main differences are that the Santa Clara Lobster (Monster) had six arms with four cars per arm whereas the Gurnee Lobster (Polyp) has five arms with four cars per arm. The Polyp has the advantage of being able to lower all five arms simultaneously to make loading and unloading more efficient. The Monster could lower only two arms at a time for loading and unloading, rotating through three positions to completely load and unload the ride.

Here is the Santa Clara Lobster (Eyerly Monster):

Photos of the renamed and repainted Gurnee ride (Schwarzkopf Polyp) are here:
http://www.sfgamworld.com/gallery/ERCrawler/ERC001

Steven
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Interesting they both look very different which I am not used to seeing when looking at Great America rides. Thanks a million Steven!
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

It looks to me like the Gurnee lobster was a much higher quality built ride, whereas the SC ride was more a county fair type. Perhaps one reason why the Gurnee ride is still around and not the SC. Thanks Steven for the photo and info. I was not aware of the differences between the two.
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Yeah it looks like the SC Lobster was run by 1 or 2 small moters covered by colored tarp…
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Post by RLAiello »

How about that... I never knew that about the Lobsters.

Personally I wish they'd change the East River Crawler back to the Lobster. The thing HAS a lobster in the center still. It just doesn't make sense to rename it.

Oh well... I'll take the ride being renamed rather than it being taken out completely.
Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999
Shockwavegirl
Yankee Clipper

Post by Shockwavegirl »

steven wrote:The main differences are that the Santa Clara Lobster (Monster) had six arms with four cars per arm whereas the Gurnee Lobster (Polyp) has five arms with four cars per arm. The Polyp has the advantage of being able to lower all five arms simultaneously to make loading and unloading more efficient. The Monster could lower only two arms at a time for loading and unloading, rotating through three positions to completely load and unload the ride.Steven
The Gurnee Lobster has five arms with five cars per arm, not four.
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Yes, you are correct. Here's a photo showing the five cars per arm:

http://www.sfgamworld.com/gallery/ERCrawler/ERC001_001

Steven
gothamkid120
Buzzy Bee

Post by gothamkid120 »

Currently East River Crawler at Six Flags Great America has a Lobster/Crawfish on the Giant Ball at the top with the lights.

But looking at some older pictures... did it used to have a Purple Octopus on top?

http://www.greatamericaparks.com/sg/gal ... ave044.jpg
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

In that photo, it was still a lobster on top. The color may have changed over the years.

Steven