maybe a GREAT day is just what you need this year

General discussion about Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
steven
Site Admin

maybe a GREAT day is just what you need this year

Post by steven »

I love all of the music used in the entire run of Marriott's GREAT AMERICA commercials. I particularly like 1981's "maybe a GREAT day is just what you need this year". Interestingly, it seemed to be the first advertising song to refer to the park as simply "Great America" rather than "Marriott's GREAT AMERICA". The park logo shown in the commercials, however, still had "Marriott's GREAT AMERICA". Does anyone else remember this song? How do you rate it in comparison with the other MGA advertising songs?

Steven
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Do you have a clip of it on the site? because I do not think I have heard it
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

I don't have a clip of it on the site at the moment. I recently came across a three-minute version of the song. I was thinking I'd like to make an MGA video with this as the soundtrack. It'll take some time, however, even for a rush job. I might put an audio sample out beforehand. I'll think about it. :-)

Steven
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Okay, for readers of this thread only -- for a limited time only, here is a 1981 commercial with the song I'm talking about. This is a one-minute commercial and the file for download is 10 MB -- twice as big as anything else on the site so far. Please right click and save:
http://www.greatamericaparks.com/mga1981001.mpg

I really like the Demon shots. There is great on-ride footage of the Lobster, too, of all things. This commercial was filmed in Santa Clara. As I mentioned when I started this thread, this song has become one of my favorites.

Steven
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

Steven,

WOW! Thanks for posting that.
===========================================
Mr. Brian Plencner
SFGAm Employee: 1988-1992
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

Steven,

Love those late 70s, early 80's commercials. It was a kinder, gentler time, indeed. So squeaky clean. Those shag haircuts were so popular back then, that's for sure! I was expecting to see Donny and Marie or the Carpenters at the park in the commercial too! Thanks for posting these vintage MGA commercials. I do see what you are talking about in regards to this jingle. It is catchy.

Jeff
Last edited by JW65 on Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

Nice comercial. Thanks Steven for posting it. What a vast improvement it was over the Mr. Six stuff that we have to put up with today.
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Thanks Steven! I like it, as well as "Get Carried Away". I also noticed that in many of commercials they have pictures of the Lobster, anyone have any guesses to why?
gothamkid120
Buzzy Bee

Post by gothamkid120 »

WOW what a GREAT commercial!

I really like that nice food the parents try to shove in that kids mouth...looks like Marriott was being cheap in 1981 and went for the nice plastic looking food..but I bet its still better than Six Flags ! :lol: WOW sorry inner ACEr lashing out :roll:

Wow that is a really FUN jingle! I wish they had Catchy tunes like this now-a-days! Gotta love the Synth beats :lol:
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

I keep hearing the line "Great America!, Maybe a GREAT day is just what you need this year" from playing over and over in my head! They don't make such catchy jingles these days. :lol: ( In the video clip I just noticed how much the girls head would move during the corkscrews)
Shockwavegirl
Yankee Clipper

Post by Shockwavegirl »

No nowadays the Gurnee park commercials are catchy AND annoying. Tell me that when you turn on the radio and hear the Vengabus song you don't see Mr Six hopping around like a geriatric on speed in your head all day while that dumb song plays in your head.

I have never seen a commercial for a Paramount park so I wouldn't know what theirs is like. Well I did see one for Carowinds while I was in North Carolina, but I don't remember it, so it must not have been catchy, or annoying.
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

That is a good song!!!!!!!!!! and its Vengaboys!!!!!!!!!
Shockwavegirl
Yankee Clipper

Post by Shockwavegirl »

yeah I know, but it was a hectic day with screaming kids and I had just left a forum where it is misspelled/misquoted frequently.
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Sorry, overreacting me, I get annoyed by everyone always saying that song is so annoying because I really like the orginal song. I guess hearing that certain part over and over and over and…gets on your nerves.
brdwyguy
Yankee Clipper

Merri Mardi Gras Parade

Post by brdwyguy »

does anyone have access to the "Merry Mardi Gras Parade" music?

this is the recording that was played during the parade

thanks
brdwyguy/Joey D