Industrial Revolution

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
ronald
Gulf Coaster

Industrial Revolution

Post by ronald »

hi iam very curious about this ride.what ride was this and where in the park was it located?i know in 2004 we have a new ride called revolution in the former spot of the ameri-go-round.iam very clueless :)
if anyone has info on obtaining park maps of this park from 1976-2006 please send me a message or email message thank you very much.
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

I rode this ride once. It was white, circular with a wavy track, people sat 2 or 3 per car with a lap bar while the train spun around the track. You can see the ride next to the TOTC in this photo.
http://www.greatamericaparks.com/sg/rid ... toc006.jpg
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Isn't that one of thos Himilaya rides?
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

I believe so,

Also, It's been brought to my attention that the white ride in the photo is the Hilltopper, but I remember this being the Industrial Revolution, perhaps the ride was renamed. I've done a little more research and apparently both the Hilltopper and Industiral Revolution sat next to the demon. I remember riding the Industrial Revolution only once. It was a small, white, circular ride with a wavy track. I remember riding it with someone next to me and the following year I looked for it again, but the ride was gone. I will look into this further.
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

I would like to know more specifics about Industrial Revolution in Gurnee. The ride mentioned in the photo was definitely Hilltopper. I don't know if it may have been renamed to Industrial Revolution in Gurnee, but remained the same ride. In Santa Clara, the Saskatchewan Scrambler was moved to this spot and renamed Industrial Revolution, whereas Gurnee's Saskatchewan Scrambler became the Hometown Fun Machine. So just what exactly was the Industrial Revolution in Gurnee?

Steven
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

According to my 1980 Gurnee Park map, there is a ride called "Industrial Revolution", on the spot that the ride shown in the referenced link is at.

I also remember it being called "Industrial Revolution" as well. I also remember the ride the same as redfishpaw does.

I have been looking through my archives to see if I have a good picture of the ride, but have yet to find one. It is mentioned on my 1983 park map, but it is missing from my 1986 one.
===========================================
Mr. Brian Plencner
SFGAm Employee: 1988-1992
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Post by RLAiello »

steven wrote:I would like to know more specifics about Industrial Revolution in Gurnee. The ride mentioned in the photo was definitely Hilltopper. I don't know if it may have been renamed to Industrial Revolution in Gurnee, but remained the same ride. In Santa Clara, the Saskatchewan Scrambler was moved to this spot and renamed Industrial Revolution, whereas Gurnee's Saskatchewan Scrambler became the Hometown Fun Machine. So just what exactly was the Industrial Revolution in Gurnee?

Steven
I'm confused... I thought the Yukon Yahoo was in this spot now in Santa Clara? (as the Berserker)

Aaaaugh! :)
Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Well the Scrambler must have been removed in later years and then the Berserker was put there, right?
zingme
Buzzy Bee

Post by zingme »

I remember the "Industrial Revolution" as being a rollercoaster-type flat ride whose cars ran on a circular track. The ride was not much bigger than the "Hilltopper" ride shown in the image referenced above.

I believe the entire ride sat on an upwards angle, and would start out running on a "flat" track. As the ride gained speed, the track would slant inwards, until the cars were sloped nearly 90 degrees. It was a fun ride for young kids - those too old for kiddie rides but too scared of roller coasters.

In Gurnee, I believe this ride was originally in front of the Demon (maybe it replaced or was near the Hilltopper?), but I remember it in its final years near the entrance to Shock Wave. I think it was taken out for the Condor.

I could be wrong about this - maybe someone will tell me that this is a different ride altogether. To confuse matters worse, my wife remembers this ride as being named the "Yukon Yahoo".
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

I feel your getting the Santa Clara and Gurnee rides mixed together. I personally have no clue what the Industrial Revolution of Hilltopper are but I'm willing to find out.
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

zingme wrote:I could be wrong about this - maybe someone will tell me that this is a different ride altogether. To confuse matters worse, my wife remembers this ride as being named the "Yukon Yahoo".
Yes, your wife is correct. The ride you described above was Yukon Yahoo, and started out in Yukon Territory. When the park expanded Bugs Bunny land in the late 80's, that ride moved to where Delta Flyer / Eagles Flight Sky ride was in Orleans Place. It kept the same name (Delta Flyer).

It was then removed at the end of the 1990 season, to be replaced by Condor in 1991.

The industry name for that ride is a Banyan Curve.
===========================================
Mr. Brian Plencner
SFGAm Employee: 1988-1992
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

In this view you can see a portion of county fair in Gurnee from a 1981 park map. The round ride next to the Demon has a #2 by it ( I know its not very clear). #2 in the legend is Industrial Revelution. In my earlier maps this ride is the Hilltoper (as discussed earlier). I guess they just changed the rides name at one point.

:idea: Also, I did scan the whole map and will post it under a new Gurnee Park Maps Topic.