Tidal Wave - The Shortest Lines

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
badfingerboogie
Buzzy Bee

Tidal Wave - The Shortest Lines

Post by badfingerboogie »

Hello there. I'm new to the board (check my out my other post in the Suggestions area for a tiny bit of background). I was wondering if anybody else remembers a sort of a waning popularity of the Tidal Wave ride in Santa Clara by the late 80's or early 90's. I remember going to the park in the midst of all of the new Paramount-themed rides like "Days of Thunder" and "Top Gun" and just not being into line waits of more than an hour! Then I'd go over to the Tidal Wave and find almost no line at all. I loved it, because I could go on it over and over with little or no wait. But it always seemed like the younger folk viewed the ride as a bit of an also-ran. Even with the newer rides like Top Gun, there were always still long lines for the other older coasters like the Demon. But not for the Tidal Wave. I think the line even for the Sky Tower was longer than the line for the Tidal Wave in the 90's.

Frankly, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. I haven't been to the park and rode on the coasters since the mid 90's or so, and I figured its days were numbered back then given the speed at which the park was being cleared out for new rides. I'm surprised it lasted until just a few years ago, albeit with a name change eventually.
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

Its so cool that you can go to Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom in Louisville and ride the original Tidal Wave that had once been in the Gurnee park if you want to. Kentucky Kingdom got it from Six Flags over Georgia (Viper there) and renamed it Greezed Lightnin'. I want to venture down to Louisville sometime to ride it again like old times. I wonder how long the lines are to ride it now?

See it for yourself...
:P

http://www.angelfire.com/oh4/tk173/tidalwave.html
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

I agree that it is cool to be able to go to Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom and ride Tidal Wave again. I have been down there a few times to do that, and it brings back so many memories.

Here is another set of pictures. These were taken Paul Drabek, who is a good friend of mine, and was able to attend the Media Preview of Greezed Lightnin'.

http://www.negative-g.com/SFKK/SFKK2003 ... -Day-1.htm
===========================================
Mr. Brian Plencner
SFGAm Employee: 1988-1992
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

A big part of the problem for TIDAL WAVE / GREASED LIGHTNIN' in its later years in Santa Clara was the placement of the huge motion simulator theater right in front of it. Basically, if you could see the coaster, you couldn't see where to go in. On the other hand, if you happened by the entrance, it was so nondescript that it was easy not to notice it. And you couldn't really see the coaster from there. For its final season, the entrance was re-routed and a new sign was put up. But it didn't help a whole lot.

That said, the lack of lines made it an especially nice treat that you could always count on riding again and again with little or no waiting.

Steven
badfingerboogie
Buzzy Bee

Post by badfingerboogie »

Great comments! That's another one that jogs my memory. I remember specifically deciding to ride the Tidal Wave and I would still have trouble finding the entrance sometimes.

Is the "Days of Thunder" motion ride gone now? I can't find it or anything that looks like it on the current map. I vaguely recall that it had a different movie as its theme for a time, but I could be totally misremembering that. My memory of that ride was the annoying race car driver with the Southern accent that they played on an endless video loop on TV's while I waited in line.

Also, I've been reading that the Gurnee version of Tidal Wave ended up elsewhere and named "Greezed Lightning." Can someone explain why it would be called "Greezed" instead of "Greased?" Am I just being dense and missing a pun, or is that just a different way to spell it? I don't know why I'm curious about that, but it just puzzled me a bit. :)
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

badfingerboogie wrote:Also, I've been reading that the Gurnee version of Tidal Wave ended up elsewhere and named "Greezed Lightning." Can someone explain why it would be called "Greezed" instead of "Greased?" Am I just being dense and missing a pun, or is that just a different way to spell it? I don't know why I'm curious about that, but it just puzzled me a bit. :)
Six Flags uses "Greezed". Paramount used "Greased". The original Six Flags GREEZED LIGHTNIN' is in Houston, TX: http://www.rcdb.com/ig55.htm. When the Gurnee TIDAL WAVE ended up in Kentucky, Six Flags gave it the same name and logo as the Houston ride. The Houston ride is essentially the same, but is launched by a flywheel system rather than a weight-drop like TIDAL WAVE. Most who have ridden both believe that the flywheel gives a better launch. The flywheel launch system was the "new and improved" version.

Steven
ewilson
Yankee Clipper

Riding Tiday Wave

Post by ewilson »

I remember on a peticularly slow day a friend and I after work went to the Tidal Wave. There was no one in line, and as long as when the ride stopped and no one was waiting to board we did not have to get off and would stay on for another ride. We were in the furthest back seats. For anyone who really knows this ride these were definately the best to have. I made it 18 times in a row without getting off. I couldn't take it anymore but my friend stayed on for another 2 times for 20.
Demondude102110
Gulf Coaster

Post by Demondude102110 »

I never got to ride Tidal Wave but I wish that I did. It sounds like a very cool ride. I should check out Greased Lightnin'
Demon rules!
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

Demondude102110 wrote:I never got to ride Tidal Wave but I wish that I did. It sounds like a very cool ride. I should check out Greased Lightnin'
Yes, Tidal Wave is now in it's third home at Six flags Kentucy Kingdom
http://www.rcdb.com/id2216.htm
coasterfan71555
Gulf Coaster

Post by coasterfan71555 »

The Gurnee Tidal Wave was the ride that made me a coaster enthusiast, way back in 1982. My favorite seat was always row 13 (second from last) because in those days, single riders could not ride alone in the last row. I rode it before 1982 but it scared the living daylights out of me. I always rode with my eyes closed, and was scared, but a dear friend in '82 told me I would enjoy it much more if I rode with eyes open. I did, and I was hooked! Lines were long in the early days, but shorter in later years, until it finally closed for good on Labor Day in 1991. I remember leaving the park that night, and watching as TW's lights were turned off for the last time. It was a sad moment, but the memories are very special. Thank you Steven, for posting all of the great TW photos on the site. Thay are fantastic! :lol:
What a day, what a place! What a smile on my face! My first visit was June 21, 1976, when I was less than a month from turning 21!
SFGAmfreak4life
Willard's Whizzer

Post by SFGAmfreak4life »

I never got to ride Tidal Wave either and I hope I can make a trip to SFKK sometime soon!
pjm8071
Gulf Coaster

Post by pjm8071 »

One of the best times I ever had while working in the Gurnee park was the time a small group of us had the chance to go to SFOG to help out with their staffing. We rode rides more than worked but it was a blast. It was also the first year that the Viper (Former Tidal Wave) was awaken after the long slumber in the Over Mid America (SFSTL) bone-yard. I never had the chance to ride it while it was still in Gurnee, but one of the guys that went with us had formerly worked on the ride. The ride was down during most of the time, just like it was so many times in Gurnee... But we finally had the chance to ride. WHAT A BLAST!! :lol:

I would download some pics, but I'm still new to this, and just don't know how :?

I'll get it eventually.
pjm8071
Gulf Coaster

SFOG Viper Pics

Post by pjm8071 »

Sing it Rev Bolin... Can I get an AWW YEAH!
m_force_4_ever
Gulf Coaster

Post by m_force_4_ever »

^wow nice pics, correct me if I'm wrong but that is now where S:UF stands? anyway I rode Tidal Wave in its current form as Greezed Lightnin' at SFKK and it was great and I highly enjoyed it
imdaman
Willard's Whizzer

Post by imdaman »

Hey badfingerboogie, I just read your first entry about the TW, and I can tell you that yes the action theater is still there. After days of thunder, it became a 007 show. At the end of the 2005 season, it was a spongebob show. From what I always saw, people just did not have an interest in riding the tidal wave. In addition to the entrance location, I also have a theory that many people would take one look at the ride, see it was only one loop, and move on to the more thrilling rides. It's too bad, because tidal wave was still a thrill, and fun, and no lines!