30th Anniversary Logo for Great America, Gurnee, IL

General discussion about Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

30th Anniversary Logo for Great America, Gurnee, IL

Post by BrianPlencner »

Everyone,

Sorry for the poor quality of the picture, but this was shown on a video screen yesterday at ACE's No Coaster Convention.

As far as what Gurnee is planning on doing on May 29, 2006? All they would say is that there would be lots of cool things going on this season.

Sorry I don't know any more then that. :( Guess we'll all have to go out to the park on Monday, May 29, 2006 and find out! :)
Last edited by BrianPlencner on Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
===========================================
Mr. Brian Plencner
SFGAm Employee: 1988-1992
xxlatinogueroxx
Yankee Clipper

Re: 30th Anniversary Logo for Great America, Gurnee, IL

Post by xxlatinogueroxx »

That looks real nice and Im hopign everybody in the park will notice the history of Great America because I bet you anythign the people that go there dont even bother to pay attention to that kind of stuff...hopefully it will change.
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

I do not believe that most people will care about the history or notice that anything is different in the park for aniversary. I doubt that a lot of people who work at SFGA care either. The logo is very nice, I am surprised that SF even made the effort . Personally, I do care a lot about the parks history and the MGA era, but I am in the minority.
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

About the May 29 thing... that is the opening day of GAm in 1976. Then it will officially be 30 years old.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
Bush985
Gulf Coaster

Post by Bush985 »

PGA has a new 30th Anniversary logo which has been sent out on some letterheads and such. It's pretty simple looking, and just says 30 Years.

It's good for the park to recognize the history though.

-RD
twixmix0303
Yankee Clipper

Post by twixmix0303 »

I like how it resembles the original Marriott's star logo.
m_force_4_ever
Gulf Coaster

Post by m_force_4_ever »

how about a special event with hours of ERT on the 29th? eh, I doubt they would do that but it would be nice
twixmix0303
Yankee Clipper

Post by twixmix0303 »

That's a Monday. They'll probably wait until June 14 or 21 for Coasters After Dark.
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

twixmix0303 wrote:That's a Monday. They'll probably wait until June 14 or 21 for Coasters After Dark.

While the parks "track record" for doing special events on their actual anniversary date is not the best
May 29, 1996: 20th Anniversary -- Nothing
May 29, 2001: 25th Anniversary -- Nothing
May 29, 2006: 30th Anniversary -- ???

something tells me that this year will be a bit different. Again, while I don't have any specific details yet, once I do find out anything, I'll pass it on.
Mr. Brian Plencner
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

Brian,

Do you know for sure whether or not SFGAm will put out the model for the American Eagle in celebration of the 30th B'day? In some thread, I thought I recall reading about that.

Jeff
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

Jeff,

While I have asked them many times about that, I never did get a 100% confirmation from the park that they would display the Eagle Model this season. The impression I got was that they were going to look into it, so hopefully that means they will do it.

If and when I get more information, I will pass that on.
Mr. Brian Plencner
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

Thanks for the info Brian.

Does the park have other models for display this year? If so, where do you think the model(s) will be displayed in the park?

Jeff
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

The other model that I know the park has (well, they had it back in 1999) is posted on this site at the following link (see pic # 1-5)

http://www.greatamericaparks.com/sg/history/model/

The park held an "Employee Alumi Day" at the beginning of the 1999 Season. During the picnic lunch held in the picnic grove, the park pulled that model out of storage for everyone to look at.

I'm thinking they still have it somewhere at the park. Hopefully, if they still do, they bring it out as well this year.
Mr. Brian Plencner