Fond memories of Great America

General discussion about Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
pattis
Gulf Coaster

Fond memories of Great America

Post by pattis »

Hello everyone, Happy to have found this site. I have many fond memories of Great America. I grew up in Milwauke area, and first visit was 1978, and went there numerous times every summer. Shockwave was definetly my favorite ride, i was broken hearted when i found out they tore it down. Unfortunately, the last visit was 1999. I do not live anywhere near any amusement park now. I miss it and hope to someday come back there. The older pictures are great!!!! Strange though, i have no recollection of Z-force. Where was it in the park????? Also , mid 90's there was a simulation type space shuttle ride, anyone recall the name?? Happy to be here, thanks for taking the time to read this.

Patti
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

Iron wolf now stands where Z-force did in the 80's, this is also the orignal location for whirligig (swings), which has been relocated in the park several times. If you really liked shockwave, then you should be aware that there are two other nearly identical coasters still operating in the US. (at SF Magic Mountain and SF Great Adventure)
pattis
Gulf Coaster

Post by pattis »

Thanks for the reply, i just do not remember that one at all, memory block i guess. Maybe i was afraid of it. The Great american scream machine is one of the ones like shock wave i believe. Only slighthly taller. I wish there were was an amusement park close to where i live. I hope to get to Milwaukee sometime this summer to visit family and maye i will be able to get to the park. I miss Milwaukee. :)
twixmix0303
Yankee Clipper

Post by twixmix0303 »

Milwaukee isn't too far from Mt. Olympus, about 2 hours. Great America is probably just as close, though.
pattis
Gulf Coaster

Post by pattis »

Where is Mt. Olympus???? Never heard of it. Anyone ever go to a place called Silverwood Park ? (Cour de alene, Id) closest park to where i live. Never been there, but dying to ride a coaster
twixmix0303
Yankee Clipper

Post by twixmix0303 »

Wisconsin Dells. Right here.
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

pattis wrote:Anyone ever go to a place called Silverwood Park ? (Cour de alene, Id) closest park to where i live. Never been there, but dying to ride a coaster
A little bit OT, but are you talking about
Silverwood Theme Park
26225 North Highway 95
Athol, Idaho 83801

If you are, there is a really great coaster at that park called Tremors. A good overview of the coaster can be found on this site.

http://www.rcdb.com/ig550.htm?picture=4
===========================================
Mr. Brian Plencner
SFGAm Employee: 1988-1992
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

Tremors looks pretty cool.

Also, I forgot to mention in my last post the Shockwave's Trains have been relocated. The red train went to Great Adventure and the yellow andbue trains went to Magic Mountain.
pattis
Gulf Coaster

Post by pattis »

Thanks for the info. Yes that is the park (silverwood) which i was referring to. Was looking at some old pictures last night from Great America. Wow. Anyone remember this? August, 1979 they had some sort of a radio-sponsered Country music thing. I was there under a large tent, pictures of the Oak Ridge Boys in a concert. I seem to remember that tent/stage area. I may not be correct, but seems to me that is what ended up being the entrance to American Eagle (que lines) and some food and beverage shops. (I havent been there for 6 1/2 years so it may be different now). I also had alot of pics of American Eagle being built. I do not have a scanner, otherwise i would post pics of Oak Ridge Boys.
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

Redfishpaw,

What are the names of the coasters at SF Magic Mountain and SF Great Adventure that resemble Shock Wave?

Thanks for the info.
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

pattis wrote:Anyone remember this? August, 1979 they had some sort of a radio-sponsered Country music thing. I was there under a large tent, pictures of the Oak Ridge Boys in a concert. I seem to remember that tent/stage area. I may not be correct, but seems to me that is what ended up being the entrance to American Eagle (que lines) and some food and beverage shops.

I remember that concert, as I was there! :) My mom is a big Country and Western music fan, so we all went out to see them.

The area that the performance was held was at the front of the park next to the Pictorium called "Picto Plaza". Today, that area is the home to Space Shuttle America (or whatever they are calling it this year), and the go-cart track. When Space Shuttle America went in for the 1994 Season, the Concert area at the front of the park was removed.
===========================================
Mr. Brian Plencner
SFGAm Employee: 1988-1992
pattis
Gulf Coaster

Post by pattis »

Thanks for responding. I appreciate it. It is so good to talk with others that have memories of the same things. I am curious, since they put the water park in, looks as though alot of parking area was taken up. That lot was always filled. Do they now have offsite parking?
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Magic Mountain has Viper: (a compact resemblence)

http://www.rcdb.com/ig25.htm?picture=1

and Great Adventure has The Great American Scream Machine:(An almost identical resemblence)

http://www.rcdb.com/ig34.htm?picture=6
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

Thanks for the names and photos of the coasters, That_guy.
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

^ that_guy answered this before I could. Thanks :D

I read somewhere recently that Shockwave orignally was suppose to go somewhere else. Then it went to GA at the last minute which is one reason why it was put in the parking lot. (we may have covered this already in a different thread, I dont remember offhand).