PGA for sale.

Share your memories of working at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA in Santa Clara
segerken
Gulf Coaster

PGA for sale.

Post by segerken »

I'm surprised nobody has commented on the article in the Business section of the SJ Mercury News that CBS, owner of Paramount, is selling off the theme pare busoness. See http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercuryn ... 725167.htm
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Woah, thats news for me
imdaman
Willard's Whizzer

Post by imdaman »

News to me too, I just opened the merc and read about it. In my opinion, it will be a good change, because I think PGA has not been run very well the last several years. Don't get me wrong, it'll always be my park :)
retlawfan
Yankee Clipper

Post by retlawfan »

I had read a bit about this a while back when Paramount purchased Dreamworks(I think), and were forced somehow to have to get rid of the themeparks division.

I never connected the dots, however, that it would mean new owners of the management team for Bonfante Gardens in Gilroy.

I look at it this way: Paramount purchased Kings Entertainment Company, but had no theme park experience per se. So, whoever buys the theme park division now will "buy" the same management team that is on place now. So, theoretically, not much should change in the operational sense. I guess, though, that the paramount movies stuff will go away. It's not the same anyway since the Klingons stopped walking around.
Great America Security
Santa Clara
1989-1992
Stealthguy05
Gulf Coaster

Post by Stealthguy05 »

^ Don't Worry they bought all the theming rights from paramount for current and new rides. nothing will change from the gp's pov, well except for "Paramount's Great America a Viacom Company" to i.e. "Paramount's Great America a Cedar Fair Company"
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Why would Cedar Fair use the Paramount name?
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

I would think that the Paramounts name would disappear if the park are sold separately. I don't think Cedar point would use a Paramount name just as Six Flags wouldn't either.
Last edited by redfishpaw on Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
retlawfan
Yankee Clipper

Post by retlawfan »

OK, I may have missed something, but did Paramount sell to Cedar Fair?
Great America Security
Santa Clara
1989-1992
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Yeah I missed that part too, I thought it was just an example though...
Stealthguy05
Gulf Coaster

Post by Stealthguy05 »

^yeah it was just an example
pjm8071
Gulf Coaster

Post by pjm8071 »

Isn't this how rumors start. :P
Sing it Rev Bolin... Can I get an AWW YEAH!
Shaggy
Gulf Coaster

Post by Shaggy »

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post here.. I worked at GA from 1990 to 1994. 3 years in rides and 1 in Tech Services.

I wonder if Six Flags will pick up GA now to complete the set. I don't know of any other "major" players in Theme Park Biz that could pick up all the Paramount parks as a lot. What do you all think?

Shaggy
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Hi, Shaggy,

Welcome! Six Flags will not be picking up the Paramount Parks. Six Flags is struggling with $2 billion of debt and are shedding parks (e.g. sale of European division; sale of Aurora, OH park; destruction of Astroworld for the land value; Frontier City and White Water Bay up for sale; expiration of contract for WaterWorld Sacramento; etc.). I've heard plenty of rumors about the pending sale of PPI (Paramount Parks, Inc.), but nothing's yet been announced. Stay tuned and hope for the best!

Steven