Question for the Gurnee folks

General discussion about Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
imdaman
Willard's Whizzer

Question for the Gurnee folks

Post by imdaman »

Was the Gurnee park either known as Marriott's GA or Six Flags GA? In other words, the park was never known as just Great America (like PGA was), right?
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

No. I think after 1984 the Six Flags signage went up in place of Marriott's.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Post by RLAiello »

jonrev wrote:No. I think after 1984 the Six Flags signage went up in place of Marriott's.
This is true. There was never a lapse of time where the park was known simply as "Great America"... although toward the end of the Marriott ownership, there were instances where the "Great America" logo would appear on its own without "Marriott's" on it... but that was extremely rare.
Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999
customfabricators
Gulf Coaster

Post by customfabricators »

Locally though, after the park was sold a lot of people called it "Great America" and have never called it Six Flags. Some folks around here still call it "Marriotts". Most of the kids under 25 call it Six Flags.
Shockwavegirl
Yankee Clipper

Post by Shockwavegirl »

To me it's always been "Great America"...I got into an argument with my math teacher my freshman year of high school about how it wasn't called "Great America" anymore. I had to be a smart ass and tell her that it's still Great America....just instead of it being Marriott's Great America, Its Six Flags Great America.

Yeah.....I got detention for being a smart ass. But my point was made.
m_force_4_ever
Gulf Coaster

Post by m_force_4_ever »

I usually save breath by just saying great america, but alot of GP here call it six flags (grrr) to which I usually reply "well which six flags are you talking about?" :lol:
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

Six Flags did actually consider getting rid of the name ''Great America'' (and also the individual names of the other parks) and just going with the ''Six Flags'' name. It almost happened, then corporate decided that might be a bad marketing plan after all. Six Flags does try a bit to hard to push the corporate name. They even changed the little brown road signs to say just ''six flags''.

Also, I just call the park Great America, some still call it Mariotts. I never hear anyone say Six Flags.
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

As was the case with Six Flags deciding to keep the recognizable name, Great America, someone should tell corporate at Macys in New York that the folks in the Chicago area would rather keep the name Marshall Fields.

For those of you not in the Chicago area, Execs at Macy's have stated that after the "buy out" they will rename Marshall Field's, a long-time 150+ years Chicago historical landmark, Macys. Many Chicagoans have become quite upset about this news, to say the least.

Is there any business that hasn't been bought out by another business? It can be maddening!
Last edited by JW65 on Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

^ Yup, coming from a Chicago based family I've also been pretty upset about the Marshall Field's takeover. (It's 153 years old). I can't stand Macy's. Here is a Save Marshall Fields petitiion (55,000 strong) if your want to help :arrow: http://www.keepitfields.org/ or better yet, send a letter (as I have a couple times) to Federated Department Stores CEO Terry Lundgren. If he thinks Chicago wants Macy's, then he doesn't know his customers base. Ok, I'm done now. Sorry if this is too O.T. for here.
Tech Services 1
Willard's Whizzer

Post by Tech Services 1 »

All of my friends and family call the park Great America when we're talking about it in the present tense. If we're talking about the good old days, we often refer to it as Marriott's.

I can never bring myself to call it six flags! Yuck!

To this day, my dad usually calls it Marriott's! :D

PPG
Technical Services technician
Gurnee park '81 - '86

Eegads, has it been that long?
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Post by RLAiello »

Tech Services 1 wrote:All of my friends and family call the park Great America when we're talking about it in the present tense. If we're talking about the good old days, we often refer to it as Marriott's.

I can never bring myself to call it six flags! Yuck!

To this day, my dad usually calls it Marriott's! :D

PPG
When I was working at Great America, it was always Six Flags Great America, yet my family ALWAYS said "So are you still working at Marriott's?" I guess it doesn't matter what people call it... they all know what it is.

I was working there when Six Flags tried to eliminate the actual names of all the parks (Six Flags Mid-America became "Six Flags St. Louis", for instance... Great America was to become "Six Flags Chicago", even though it really isn't IN Chicago.) I'm glad they never did that to our park. I think the resistance was too great. Let's see what happens with the new management.
Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

^ I worked at the park from 1985-1992 (SF era). Even in 2002, a decade later, some people asked me if I'm still working at Marriotts. :?
Glorfindel7
Tidal Wave

Post by Glorfindel7 »

I remember visiting in 1983 just before Six Flags took over full ownership of the park from Marriot buying a Shirt that said "Marriot's Great America" with the number 83 on the front. It was colored blue and white...

I think the next year Six Flags issued an 84 shirt, same style, except Six Flags replaced Marriott's on the front.

I remember thinking in 1983 that Six Flags would change the name of the park to something like "Six Flags Over Illinois" and was very upset about this... I'm glad they kept the Great America.
SFGAm Rules
Buzzy Bee

Post by SFGAm Rules »

I have heard some people call it "Bally's Great America," even though I can't find any evidence that it was ever called that. I have, however, seen Six Flags Great America, a Bally company.

Personally I call it Great America, or sometimes just G.A. for short.
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

The park was never called Bally's Great America.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007