Trolley

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
Fluesheet
Buzzy Bee

Post by Fluesheet »

The trolleys from the Santa Clara park are currently kept at the Alameda County storage yard near the intersection of Peralta Blvd. and Shinn St. in Fremont. This is the same facility used by the Pacific Locomotive Association to store an early gas mechanical locomotive and a 3-truck Heisler from the Pickering Lumber Co. near Sonora.
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Fluesheet wrote:The trolleys from the Santa Clara park are currently kept at the Alameda County storage yard near the intersection of Peralta Blvd. and Shinn St. in Fremont. This is the same facility used by the Pacific Locomotive Association to store an early gas mechanical locomotive and a 3-truck Heisler from the Pickering Lumber Co. near Sonora.
Anyone have a picture?
The rides are GREAT, the shows are GREAT, the fun is GREAT, at Marriott's Great America! REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA, REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA!
dpxtreme
Tidal Wave

Post by dpxtreme »

I remember the trolley tracks were there not too long ago. And then they finally repaved the whole park.
imdaman
Willard's Whizzer

Post by imdaman »

It's still possible to see where the tracks were, especially around the gazebo area near the paramount theater (the former grand music hall).
customfabricators
Gulf Coaster

Post by customfabricators »

Just to chime in on the trolleys.....

They are obviously replicas of San Francisco Cable Cars (California style) And the bells are authentic San Francisco "MUNI" cable car bells. The MUNI logo is cast into the back of them.

And the "Allies Trolley" sign has been updated. It still reads "Allies Trolley"

And the trolleys see a lot of service now. They are in both parades and operate for some character meet and greets as well.

There has even been talk of replacing the needed track to complete the loops so it can operate in regular service. But it has just been talk.
Last edited by customfabricators on Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
phonebone
Buzzy Bee

Trolleys

Post by phonebone »

Wow, you guys brought back some old memories. I was a trolley conductor in 1977 in Santa Clara, and we wore conductors uniforms with black vests, black slacks, black conductor caps and I think white shirts.

Our stops were in front of Roadrunner Cafe (then called A La Burger, I think) in Orleans Square, Rue Le Dodge (bumper cars) in Orleans Place where the double tracks were (if the other trolley was late, of course we waited to avoid a head-on!), and in front of The Great American Theater in Hometown Square. I think I got the names correct, this was, OMG, 29 years ago!! :shock:

We had a blast. We were the only employees allowed to wear sunglasses ("they hide smiling eyes") because the late afternoon sun blinded us to where we had a hard time not running over guests!

We had several guest injuries from them stepping off while the trolley was still moving, or worse, facing the rear while stepping off while it was still moving! I think all that liability is what doomed the trolleys.

We were in several parades. One parade the Tasmanian Devil rode with me. Ha, fun days... Miss ringing that bell. :lol:
binks drake
Gulf Coaster

Post by binks drake »

The Trolleys still see a lot of use at Sfgam. They are used twice daily in parades, and were also used for the character show "Six flags Celebration" this summer. During fright fest they have zombies ride on them, and perform shows in Hometown Square and Orleans Place, plus being used in the FREAK! and Zombie Jamboree parades Daily. So our trollies are still alive and young.
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

I rode on it in the nighttime parade sometime this past summer.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
WestBurbs14
Yankee Clipper

Carousel Plaza Trolley Station

Post by WestBurbs14 »

In Gurnee, I distinctly remember that there was a trolley in Carousel Plaza at the foot of the railroad berm.