Focus Group@Gurnee

General discussion about Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
macman
Gulf Coaster

Focus Group@Gurnee

Post by macman »

Did anyone here get called in for the focus group being held on 10/28? Season pass holders were sent an e-mail about it and encouraged to sign up. If picked, the attendee would be provided $40 in meal vouchers and four Fast Passes at the conclusion of the meeting. I was not selected, but I am curious about the location it was being held...the park's "VIP apartment" which apparently is located above the Bugs Bunny shop in Orleans Place. Anyone ever been in this apartment? Do photos exist of it?
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

I did get the inital e-mail about it, and I did respond that I was interested. At this point, I have not been contacted, so I am guessing that I was not "picked" as well.

As far as the parks "VIP Apartment", I personally have never been in there, but from what I've been told, its a very fancy meeting room (big conference table, many chairs, etc). I also believe there are some pictures on the wall showing some history of the park.

The other feature of this room is that it contains a full wet bar! (Or so I have been told..again, I have never been in this room) They probably will not be using that on 10/28.

The last time I saw people use this room was on May 29. It looked to me like Supervisors and upper management were in attendance. Party started a few minutes before closing time on that special day.
===========================================
Mr. Brian Plencner
SFGAm Employee: 1988-1992
macman
Gulf Coaster

Post by macman »

That's what I was wondering Brian...whether they had any old park photos or models. I also doubt the wet bar would be open...especially for the focus group session they are having for teenagers the same day. :D
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

I don't believe any of the park models are stored up there. The only way I know to get up their is by the stairs on the side of the buidling (Columbia side, just backstage).

The park models, as far as I know, are all on the other side of the park, in the maintance buildings.

They probably do have old photo's up on the walls, or maybe one of the giant arial shots from a gven year.

By the way, I did hear back from them, but I was not picked. Here is the e-mail that I got.
Thank you very much for your willingness to participate in our Season Pass focus group on October 28, 2006.

At this time, we have filled all of the slots.

However, if at any time you’d like to drop us a line, express an opinion or propose an improvement to the program, please feel free to do so (you can continue to communicate with us at this email address: sfgrmktg@sftp.com). We received very valuable comments from many people over the past few days and promise to read each suggestion and take each comment seriously. We strive to make the Season Pass experience the best it can be and your input is greatly appreciated.

Again, thanks for your interest and we hope you can make it out to the park for the final weekend of Fright Fest!

Sincerely,

The Six Flags Great America marketing team
Mr. Brian Plencner
macman
Gulf Coaster

Post by macman »

Yeah, that's the same e-mail I got. I replied and said I wouldn't be going to Fright Fest this weekend because they are too understaffed to enforce their smoking ban, which was blatantly ignored last weekend. I got a reply five minutes later saying it was being forwarded to the General Manager.
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Does this take place in this building:

http://www.greatamericaparks.com/images ... =71&pos=21
The rides are GREAT, the shows are GREAT, the fun is GREAT, at Marriott's Great America! REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA, REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA!
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

Yes, that is the buidling. The doors on the upper level lead into the area where the forum will be taking place.

Of course, you are showing the Santa Clara one, but its still the sme building / place in Gurnee. Just wanted to point that out.
Mr. Brian Plencner
customfabricators
Gulf Coaster

Post by customfabricators »

The apartment/VIP Suite in question is indeed located in the Orleans Place building on the second floor of Bugs Bunny and Co.

It's original use was as a private apartment for the Marriott family when the park was being built, and for use during the regular operation as a place the family could stay. The Marriott family got this idea from Walt Disney's private residence at Disneyland (for those interested, its above the firsehouse on Main Street USA) After the park was sold, it began its use as a meeting room and VIP facility.

It is not decorated with park photos of ANY kind. Remember, this is Great AMERICA. There are pictures of George Washington, other colonial figures, etc. The theming of this space is VERY PLUSH. Carpeting, wonderful antique furniture replicas, a walnut paneled dining room, restroom with ornate furnishings, and a complete kitchen (there is no wet bar)

It's nice, and for those of you whe get to see it, it is a part of Great America that has been untouched. You are pretty lucky.
dwolo
Gulf Coaster

Post by dwolo »

The apartment was called the Consulate Lounge and it was used to entertain vip's who came to the park. It was very plush and I remember the gold fixtures in the bathroom. Friends in the Marketing department knew I was a huge beach boys fan and took me up there the summer of 78 to meet Mike Love when he performed at the park with his Celebration band.
Bush985
Gulf Coaster

Post by Bush985 »

The Consulate at PGA is very nice. I have been up there many a time and it is still very nicely furbished with a kitchen, dining room, and an entertaining room.... Nicest Bathroom in the park.
-RD
SFGAmfreak4life
Willard's Whizzer

Post by SFGAmfreak4life »

I thought the room just had things stored in there so its interesting to find out its a VIP room. Ive only seen one person come out of there and it was an entertainment supervisor.
Mr. D.T.
Yankee Clipper

Post by Mr. D.T. »

What takes place on the second floor of Gurnee's Bugs Bunny & Co.?
"Park Base to Unit 100 and all base stations please be advised.....we have the 4 O'Clock 1085. A. 1.4; B. 23.5; C. 28.7; D. 5.1. The temperature is 77 degrees.
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Yeah, but this is the only picture I know of, but I thought it used to be the Mardi Gras Emporium...

So were they both originally apartments for the Marriotts?
The rides are GREAT, the shows are GREAT, the fun is GREAT, at Marriott's Great America! REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA, REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA!
customfabricators
Gulf Coaster

Post by customfabricators »

Mr. D.T. wrote:What takes place on the second floor of Gurnee's Bugs Bunny & Co.?
Look back in the topic and read all the posts before asking a question like that.
segerken
Gulf Coaster

Post by segerken »

that_guy wrote:Yeah, but this is the only picture I know of, but I thought it used to be the Mardi Gras Emporium...

So were they both originally apartments for the Marriotts?
I worked at the SC MGA from 1976-1980. Once I was able to go up there. I'm not sure which year, but probably was either 1976 or 1977. It was not an apartment for the Marriott family. It was for VIPs and was pretty plush. There were no beds. I do remember that there was a guest book which I looked at and I remember I didn't recognising any names.

Scott