The Edge's Second Home

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
jonrev
Tidal Wave

The Edge's Second Home

Post by jonrev »

After the Edge left SFGAm, it went to a small park called Rocky Point, where it was renamed FreeFall and upgraded to be safer. I found these photos of the Gurnee Edge at its second home:

Photos from http://www.joenisil.com/rockypoint/
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
RandyV
Willard's Whizzer

Post by RandyV »

What is up with the paint scheme? It looks like they retained some of the original "tangelo orange" -- but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the parts that are white ... :?: Anyone know what the deal is?

Great pics. Thanks for sharing!
Randy V.
Gurnee will always be my home park...
Greezed Lightening
Gulf Coaster

Post by Greezed Lightening »

Where is Rocky Point? I like the old style freefalls. I went on the Edge once at Santa Clara during its last year in 1995. It would be good to ride it again! :D
retlawfan
Yankee Clipper

Post by retlawfan »

It was in Rhode Island. It looks like it closed in about 1996. :(

Another one down...
Great America Security
Santa Clara
1989-1992
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

Nice photos, thanks for posting them. I thought some safety ugrading was done while the ride was still in Gurnee as it was thought that the ride would reopen.

Also, thanks for posting the link to Rocky Point Park. The timeline photos are quite interesting. Looks like Freefall (the Edge) sold for $500,000 at auction.
tillenterprises
Gulf Coaster

Post by tillenterprises »

redfishpaw wrote:Nice photos, thanks for posting them. I thought some safety ugrading was done while the ride was still in Gurnee as it was thought that the ride would reopen.

Also, thanks for posting the link to Rocky Point Park. The timeline photos are quite interesting. Looks like Freefall (the Edge) sold for $500,000 at auction.
It did reopen. I rode it for the first time after the accident happened. I love this ride
SFGAmfreak4life
Willard's Whizzer

Post by SFGAmfreak4life »

I love first generation free falls. Demon Drop at Cedar Point is great. Sadly I didnt get a chance to ride Stunt Fall at SFMM when i was there and now its up for sale. All of the other SF free falls are for sale too. Now its too late to ride the Edge(Mr. Hyde's Nasty Fall) at Geauga Lake.
Go Bears!