Cedarfair and theming

General discussion about Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
Miri
Gulf Coaster

Cedarfair and theming

Post by Miri »

I was simply wondering if anyone knows (or can speculate) as to how Cedarfair will treat Great America's theming. I know most of the themes and areas were practically destroyed by Paramount, but will Cedarfair finish the job? Or will they go back and re-theme the areas so that Great America will have a very American feel again? I think it would be so awesome to have the different areas be themed again with unique souvenirs and rides!
Miri
:D
dpxtreme
Tidal Wave

Post by dpxtreme »

I can see them 20% retheming some areas, but Yankee Harbor and Yukon Territory will never return because of Boomerang Bay and Nick Central and KidZville.
SFGAmfreak4life
Willard's Whizzer

Post by SFGAmfreak4life »

I think Cedar Fair might retheme some of the areas if they dont renew the PGA contracts. I dont know what they would want to do as far as bringing back the Great America theme. I know Cedar Fair will eventually bring the Peanuts Gang and do something with that.
Go Bears!
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

All I can say is that the decisions Cedar Fair makes for the park are probably going to depend on SF Discovery Kingdom and how they can attract more visitors to come to Great America for a different experience than Six Flags. (I believe a main factor has to be the large kid friendly attraction as well as the Nickelodeon characters)
The rides are GREAT, the shows are GREAT, the fun is GREAT, at Marriott's Great America! REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA, REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA!
Stealthguy05
Gulf Coaster

Post by Stealthguy05 »

They Should Focus More On Attracting the people from fresno and down south, maybe image themselves as "The South Bay's Only Thril Park!" etc.
LS202
Gulf Coaster

Post by LS202 »

They should also focus more on attracting families and stop making it the park for gangs to hang out at. I hope CF makes some improvements this year.
Laura Carousel Souviners 85-86
dpxtreme
Tidal Wave

Post by dpxtreme »

^Yeah. IMO, that's why Great America and Discovery Kingdom in the North Bay don't stay open very late even during the summer, 9pm at the latest, except 10pm on 3 days during the summer because of the 4th of July.
rossrich66
Buzzy Bee

Post by rossrich66 »

I'm thinking that given the latest "buzz" coming from the Six Flags/Shaprio camp, Cedar Fair is really going to have up the ante on its properties... at least in the markets where they compete directly with Six Flags.

Up until last year, Cedar Fair, Six Flags and Paramount Parks were pretty much the only players in the regional theme park arena. In general, Cedar Fair pretty much led the pack (w/the exception of Geauga Lake) in in terms of offering both the general pop and enthusiasts a very solid product in all of its theme parks with Cedar Point leading the way. Paramount had a promising vision when it took over the old KECO properties including (P)GA. But half way thru its tenure, it certainly lost its way. That could not be more evident in what we see in Santa Clara today as Cedar Fair takes the reigns. Marriott's/" "/Paramount's/"Knott's" Great America is the perfect example of a park that has no identity and is just a mish mash of all the short sighted visions of those that have managed it through the years.

So.....in my opinion Cedar Fair is the best thing that could happen to this park given its stature in the industry. However, as I mentioned earlier, the formula it has applied to its regional parks that are NOT the flagship Cedar Point, will not work. Although the new Six Flags Shaprio regime was lambasted in its first year, it appears that as we enter the 2007 season, things are MORE THAN SHAPING up for the Six Flags empire. Shapiro is making incredibly smart decisions with his leaner company in reinventing his regional properties into (IMHO) the best an most unique experience a regional theme park has to offer. Take a look at the incredible transformation SFMW has gone through over the winter into the new Six Flags Discovery Kingdom. It is clear now, it was more than just a mere name change. If you look further south, we were all but ready to write the epitaphs for that "Mountain" in Valencia just four months ago. But if you've been following the news, the home to where Timothy Bottoms died while trying to blow up the Revolution in 1977, is on the verge of a rebirth of its own. SERIOUS money is being sunk into bringing the "Magic" back to the "Mountain".

Thinking about this new dynamic in California....Knott's Berry Farm and Six Flags Magic Mountain in the South and Knott's Great America and Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in the North, can only make me hope that the issue Cedar Fair has with our beloved "Marriott's" Great America is more than just a decision on how to (re)theme it. But an opportunity that reinvents the park to a place that is unique and erases all of the past mistakes that we see when we visit Santa Clara today. For those of us who grew up with "Marriott's" Great America, we are so focused on what has been lost...and believe me, SO MUCH has been lost. But the reality is... NONE of that is coming back. Let's accept it and look back fondly....

Shaprio has raised the bar and presented us with a "Great" opportunity. And I would like to believe that Cedar Fair has its own vision to bring back the "Great" in Great America.
I survived the Tidal Wave on opening day in 1977!
PGA ROCKS
Tidal Wave

Post by PGA ROCKS »

I never got to see the original Marriott's Great America. But I have grown up with Paramount. I've had so many great memories of hearing, "Enjoy the rest of your day here at PGA." I see that Paramount made some mistakes, what with the removal of many classic Marriott rides. But I am confident that Cedar Fair will be able to make many improvements with the park.

In fact, Cedar Fair has already taken the first step to restoring the park as much as they can, by reopening Orleans Orbit! :D :D :D
I miss Tidal Wave
Stealthguy05
Gulf Coaster

Post by Stealthguy05 »

"and have the best day ever here at Para... Great America"

i heard that said at least 20 times the first day lol
the Crypt Cruiser
Gulf Coaster

Cedar Fair and themeing.

Post by the Crypt Cruiser »

You can pretty much lay to rest any fantasies of Cedar Fair ever restoring any themeing. In fact I would start worrying about the future damage that will incur during Cedar Fairs reign. They probably won't touch anything for a while, but dont expect them to respect any existing buildings or rides. Don't be too surprised when you walk into the park and find Columbia has been painted purple and orange. Cedar Fair loves concrete so expect to lose some greenery. But this is in the future. Cedar Fair is not in the financial situation to do anything major right now. (created by their acquisition of Paramount parks). But look on the bright side. GA is gonna get Snoopy! :lol: JK
dpxtreme
Tidal Wave

Post by dpxtreme »

^I feel the opposite. I think Cedar Fair is going to bring good changed to GA. I mean look, they already saved The Orbit from getting removed. And on the night of the Labor Day fireworks, on the loud speaker they said,"The best viewing spot for the fireworks extravaganza is in Carousel Plaza." They didn't say Hollywook or Celebration Plaza. I can see Carousel Plaza, and Hometown Square coming back. I think County Fair and Action Zone are going to stay, and I like those names. And I also think Orleans Place will stay. The one name I hate is All-American Corners. It makes not sense.

Hopefully now they focus on getting signage for each "themed" area.
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

I believe that the replica of the Hollywood sign is gone, too.

Steven
Morgansupertech
Gulf Coaster

Post by Morgansupertech »

No movie anything! Hollywood sign is gone, all the movie posters are gone, 10 Commandments, Indiana Jones, Adams Family and Star Trek are gone. (I totally call dibs on the Enterprise for the Tech Shop) Paramount Theater sign is getting taken down in the winter. I think they might pry up all those granite movie titles in the front of the park and Hollywood plaza to.
Loco
Gulf Coaster

Post by Loco »

dpxtreme wrote:And on the night of the Labor Day fireworks, on the loud speaker they said,"The best viewing spot for the fireworks extravaganza is in Carousel Plaza." They didn't say Hollywook or Celebration Plaza.
I remember when they said that I was like..."Wait, I thought it was called Hollywood Plaza or Celebration Plaza...They need to make up their minds"

Im so glad The Orbit was saved from the chopping block. I re-rode it on the 2nd and I forgot what a great ride it is (last time I rode it was about 6 years ago)

Oh and BTW. I love coasters but Vortex...I only rode it once, I couldn't handle riding it more than that, its gotten way too brutal.