Naming the Rides

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
RandyV
Willard's Whizzer

Naming the Rides

Post by RandyV »

I had a random thought yesterday about the rides for those of you out there who worked at the parks:

How did Marriott come up with the names for the various rides?

How did Columbia, the Demon, American Eagle, The Edge all get their names?

Was there some kind of employee contest? Did an outside firm do it? Did Marriott's internal design teams choose?

Inquiring minds want to know! Anyone have the answer?
Randy V.
Gurnee will always be my home park...
segerken
Gulf Coaster

Post by segerken »

I worked at the Santa Clara park the sommers of 1976-1980. The only employee naming contest that I could remember was for a new area that was to built behing the Turn Of The Century. Someone won a cash prize and the area was never built.
binks drake
Gulf Coaster

Post by binks drake »

Creative.
brdwyguy
Yankee Clipper

Post by brdwyguy »

Randy, I dont know about the rides - but the stores were named for Marriott Corporation Bigwigs ---- IE

I was in the show operations dept and the VP of show ops wife's name was Penny Patrick

The candy store in hometown square was called Penny Patricks Candygoods. or something to that effect.

would be interesting to see if the rides were done the same way.

brdwyguy
Glorfindel7
Tidal Wave

Post by Glorfindel7 »

brdwyguy wrote:Randy, I dont know about the rides - but the stores were named for Marriott Corporation Bigwigs ---- IE

I was in the show operations dept and the VP of show ops wife's name was Penny Patrick

The candy store in hometown square was called Penny Patricks Candygoods. or something to that effect.

brdwyguy
Other than the "obvious" Willard's Whizzer, I really don't know of any other example.
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

Turn of the Century was probably named for its corkscrews.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
Glorfindel7
Tidal Wave

Post by Glorfindel7 »

brdwyguy wrote:Randy, I dont know about the rides - but the stores were named for Marriott Corporation Bigwigs ---- IE

The candy store in hometown square was called "Penny Patricks Candygoods". or something to that effect.

brdwyguy
I remember this as "Penny P. Patricks Praline Parlor" (probably named because of the alliterative effect.) used to be a really good place to get a waffle sundae cone.
SFGAmfreak4life
Willard's Whizzer

Post by SFGAmfreak4life »

jonrev wrote:Turn of the Century was probably named for its corkscrews.
The theme of Hometown Sqaure is the turn of the century and that is why the coaster was named Turn of the Century. The corkscrews could have also been a reason. The only kind of inversion around this time was the vertical loop and then came the corkscrew.

I think the same thing goes for the Revolution at SFMM. It was originally named the Great American Revoltion for the bicentennial. The first successful vertical loop attempt since the early 1900s could have been a reason. What makes it more special is that the loop is round as opposed to the tear drop loops. SFMM really did start a coaster revolution with the coaster.
Go Bears!
WhizzerSFGAm
Yankee Clipper

Post by WhizzerSFGAm »

SFGAmfreak4life wrote:
jonrev wrote:Turn of the Century was probably named for its corkscrews.
The theme of Hometown Sqaure is the turn of the century and that is why the coaster was named Turn of the Century. The corkscrews could have also been a reason. The only kind of inversion around this time was the vertical loop and then came the corkscrew.
First, Turn of the Century was located in County Fair, not Hometown Square.

Second, corkscrews came before vertical loops. Revolution at Magic Mountain opened in 1976. Corkscrew at Knott's opened in 1975
It's Whizzer time!
SFGAmfreak4life
Willard's Whizzer

Post by SFGAmfreak4life »

I dont know why I thought Turn of the Century was in Hometown. That was a really stupid mistake on my part. Thanks for the correction.

There were vertical loops before corkscrews. Heres a link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertical_loop If you dont like that info then look up the history of roller coasters. Its also in many coaster books. Also I do know that Corkscrew opened before Revolution.
Go Bears!
Station1
Gulf Coaster

Post by Station1 »

It seems to me as if the original rides were named randomly to go with the themed area they were located in...all the names (at the time) just sort of "fit" into their respective areas. (Orleans Place: Orleans Orbit, Delta Flyer, Rue Le Dodge, Cajun Carpet/Cliffhanger) Some of the names were boarderline, but worked.
84-85 Area Host - Hometown
86-87 Rides - Whizzer (86) Revolution (87)
1987 Rides - New Orleans (Rue/Delta/Orbit)
88-89 Rides - New Orleans (" " RR Rapids)
89-95 Loss Prevention - Station One
GreatAmerica4ever
Yankee Clipper

Post by GreatAmerica4ever »

The original names definitely fit into their themed areas during the Marriott era. I think that is why Great America was a good park, it was carefully planned even to the names of the attractions.

Suddenly, Turn of the Century was named The Demon and then most of the newer rides weren't properly named like they should.

I think the corporation names the newer rides outrageous names just to get more attention especially when it becomes the tallest or fastest in the country.
tillenterprises
Gulf Coaster

Post by tillenterprises »

I know that the naming of the rides in respect to their themed areas, with the exceptions of Viper and Bull, leaves alot to be desired in the Six Flags era, but the ones that really irk me are Vertical Velocity and Batman. Both are in the Yankee Harbor area and stick out like sore thumbs. I think they should paint V2 light and dark blue and rename it Tidal Wave 2 (or T2 instead of V2 for short!) in honor of the legendary Tidal Wave. After all, it kind of resembles a huge wave! Also, Batman could be rethemed as the Flying Dutchman and fit the area's theme better, although I'm sure Six Flags doesn't want to lose the Batman name. I like Batman and the Batman theme, it's just that it doesn't fit the theme of Yankee harbor. V2 is my bigger gripe, though. (Personally, even though it's probably not a good business decision, I would prefer that they take out V2 and put the Tidal Wave back in it's place, but that's another subject...)
GreatAmerica4ever
Yankee Clipper

Post by GreatAmerica4ever »

Yes, tillenterprises...I agree with you!

The Tidal Wave idea would be cool. Yankee Harbor could be improved just with better names of the rides and attractions.

I think it is outrageous that we have Batman, Superman, Iron Wolf, Deja Vu, etc. and it has nothing to do with the themed areas of Gurnee. It is a lot like how crazy the Santa Clara park has become.
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

The Raging bull name goes well with the southwest theme.

Even though the batman theme doesnt fit with in Yankee Harber, I would not change it. I like the ride the way it is. I think it is well executed.

V2 caused quite a bit of damage to Yankee Harber the way it was wedged into it's space. It took out the light house, made the wooden boardwalk to Yukon Territory useless and total cut off Yankee clipper from the area. While it could use a different name for fit in the area better, I would let the Tidal wave name rest.

Also, I'm glad they brought back the Yankee Clipper name. I hope that ride sticks around for a long time.