The Demon

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

They have this out in front of the Gurnee Demon.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

Nice poster, thanks for getting the photo.
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

JW65 wrote:I was looking at the Turn of the Century pictures on this site and noticed that in 1979, the corkscrew tracks were painted red. How interesting that they were red just for that one season. Wonder if park officials knew when they had them painted red that in a year the entire track of the coaster would be black? Wonder what reaason they had for painting the corkscrew tracks red? If you haven't seen the pictures, take a look...

http://www.greatamericaparks.com/sg/rid ... toc015.jpg

http://www.greatamericaparks.com/sg/rid ... toc016.jpg

Steven, do you know of additional information about the original cars from the Turn of the Century that were used for the Demon? Were they simply rethemed?
Actually, It seems that Gurnee had its red corkscrews as early as 1978 as you can see in this aerial:

http://www.greatamericaparks.com/sg/his ... irg002.jpg
The rides are GREAT, the shows are GREAT, the fun is GREAT, at Marriott's Great America! REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA, REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA!
Glorfindel7
Tidal Wave

Post by Glorfindel7 »

^ Based on this picture , I think that looks more like the reflection of the tracks in the sun... It's too far away to be sure.
BillK
Gulf Coaster

Post by BillK »

Someone mentioned earlier that the tunnel lights at the top of the tunnel were prone to breakage by kids throwing stuffed animals and such up in the air, but what I head from another op (and witnessed at least once) was kids using the hard plastic batting helmet hats when GA started selling them. Luckily the trains were going fast enough that people in cars behind these idiots avoided being showered with bits of light bulb. :cry:

I specifically remember that the sound effects, including the moan that started as you went down through the demon mouth mountain and would continue as the fountains would do their brief spurt as the train approached; if you were in the front train you usually would still feel just a bit of mist.

It's been so depressing to return in recent years and see little of the theming left; I'm so glad that I can listen to the Demon song again, thanks to this site. (I still remember the chorus, vividly; hearing it over and over again for at least an hour will do that to you. :lol:)
Imeanbusiness
Buzzy Bee

Post by Imeanbusiness »

I have been meaning to ask what type of affects occured a the head. There is a limit switch located prior to the tunnel, and Ive noticed the speaker in the nose. When I inquired, I was allways told the lights and the effects over there never worked and they just gave up.
Tech Services 1
Willard's Whizzer

Post by Tech Services 1 »

Imeanbusiness wrote:I have been meaning to ask what type of affects occured a the head. There is a limit switch located prior to the tunnel, and Ive noticed the speaker in the nose. When I inquired, I was allways told the lights and the effects over there never worked and they just gave up.
I can only remember the "moan" or scream sound effect at the Demon head.
The effects equipment was located in a room at the maintenance shed; the switch on the track triggered an endless-loop tape deck which played the moan through the speaker in the "nose". Keeping those tapes functioning properly was a real challenge! They were prone to breaking and jamming. I could see why they gave up, but with the digital playback devices available today, the effects could be easily restored.

I just can't recall if the lights in the eyes were triggered, or constantly on.

PPG
Technical Services technician
Gurnee park '81 - '86

Eegads, has it been that long?
Imeanbusiness
Buzzy Bee

Post by Imeanbusiness »

The lights are on a timmer from the time the train hits the last proxy on the lift.
Demonlover13
Tidal Wave

Post by Demonlover13 »

The new logos are awesome. I didn't know there were lights in the eyes of the demon "face" but I wish they kept them. Also, they should re-do the fake rocks of the demon face with a different kind of fake rock that wouldn't deteriorate so they could get the waterfall back.
I need a great day this year, or 2, or 30!
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

It wasn't only the rocks falling apart as to why the waterfall is off. The water was splashing onto the track and rotting it away. I believe the section of track under the waterfall was replaced a few years ago using a re-profiled section of Shockwave's track.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Be happy you guys still have some rocks, lol...
The rides are GREAT, the shows are GREAT, the fun is GREAT, at Marriott's Great America! REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA, REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA!
Demonlover13
Tidal Wave

Post by Demonlover13 »

Yea, I guess. Santa clara's isn't much different now than turn of the century except the loops, black paint and tunnel.
I need a great day this year, or 2, or 30!
stockboy300
Buzzy Bee

Post by stockboy300 »

They need to replace the shoulder harness on the Demon they stink like sweat and mold.
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

Some of them look like guests tried to eat them.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
SixflagsGurneeBoy
Buzzy Bee

Post by SixflagsGurneeBoy »

Can't blame them for eating the harnesses with the cost of the food at the park..lol :lol: