What Do You Think About the New Highway Sign in Gurnee?

General discussion about Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
JW65
Tidal Wave

What Do You Think About the New Highway Sign in Gurnee?

Post by JW65 »

Hi Everyone,

It has been a long time since I've posted a new topic. I read about the new Gurnee signage in these entries:

http://www.greatamericaparks.com/forums ... .php?t=500

http://www.greatamericaparks.com/forums ... .php?t=469

I recently passed by the Gurnee park and saw the new sign by I94. "Six Flags" is much more evident on the signage than "Great America". I think the part of the sign with the electronic messages that change from time to time is better than the old sign. I do miss the shape and size of the old sign though. Wondering what others think of this new sign.

Does anyone have a picture to post of the current Santa Clara signage?

JW
ElkGroveGroovin
Gulf Coaster

Post by ElkGroveGroovin »

Here's a link to the bird's eye view of the sign off Highway 101 in Santa Clara using Windows Live Maps (This feature is awesome!):

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&c ... ne=5875215

Its not a clear image, but you can see the gist of it. You can also switch different views going East, West, North, South. Great aerials of the park too at a bird's eye view instead of just an aerial over the top view.
Papas
Yankee Clipper

Post by Papas »

I recently passed by the Gurnee park and saw the new sign by I94. "Six Flags" is much more evident on the signage than "Great America". I think the part of the sign with the electronic messages that change from time to time is better than the old sign.
The Six Flags is bigger than the Great America, how dare they! Oh wait, the logos been that way since Time Warner bought Six Flags.

The new sign is much better than the old sign in my opinion, note how its crystal clear and much easier to read. And unlike the old sign, this one works.
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

I like the LCD, but hate the rest of it. The sign is really ugly.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

I like the original SFGAm sign compared to the new one... I really don't like that curve in the image screen, makes it look weird...

By the way, here's the best picture I could find of the Santa Clara sign:

http://www.digitronmedia.com/images/2.jpg
The rides are GREAT, the shows are GREAT, the fun is GREAT, at Marriott's Great America! REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA, REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA!
dpxtreme
Tidal Wave

Post by dpxtreme »

What makes it easy is that the Paramount sign above the Great America part seems like it could just be removed easily and be replaced with Cedar fair.
soupkid
Gulf Coaster

Post by soupkid »

dpxtreme wrote:What makes it easy is that the Paramount sign above the Great America part seems like it could just be removed easily and be replaced with Cedar fair.
Where is that sign? Is it where the old one was next to the 101 freeway? What are those things on the left as the look like little hills, but its only buildings next to the sign and the park.
retlawfan
Yankee Clipper

Post by retlawfan »

soupkid wrote:
dpxtreme wrote:What makes it easy is that the Paramount sign above the Great America part seems like it could just be removed easily and be replaced with Cedar fair.
Where is that sign? Is it where the old one was next to the 101 freeway? What are those things on the left as the look like little hills, but its only buildings next to the sign and the park.
I think they are pile sof dirt in a nearby parking lot/field for a construction site nearby.
Great America Security
Santa Clara
1989-1992
greatamericagirl
Buzzy Bee

Post by greatamericagirl »

yea can't believe geico is all over it.

sigh. sponorship. sponsorship.
Demonlover13
Tidal Wave

Post by Demonlover13 »

Viper has a big geico ad. on it's structure.
I need a great day this year, or 2, or 30!
Cheesehead Dave
Yankee Clipper

Post by Cheesehead Dave »

The sign is nice to look at when it's working. I drive past it every day, and it seems that at least once a week, there are random black squares here and there where the LEDs aren't working.

I wish it was a little bigger, though. By the time you're close enough to read some of the text, you've only got about five seconds before you're past it.
Demonlover13
Tidal Wave

Post by Demonlover13 »

I wish the sign had more detail. Maybe a retro look would do some good.
I need a great day this year, or 2, or 30!