Question re: Gurnee Sky Trek Tower

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
WestBurbs14
Yankee Clipper

Question re: Gurnee Sky Trek Tower

Post by WestBurbs14 »

I was looking at CWSR's album of Shock Wave Construction photos taken in the winter, and I could see that the cabin of the Sky Trek Tower was at the top of the tower. Why was it kept there in the winter? It seems that keeping it at ground level would be more logical.
WhizzerSFGAm
Yankee Clipper

Post by WhizzerSFGAm »

They leave it at the top whenever it isn't running. I don't know the "official" reason, but I would guess it is to keep the cables safe from the elements.
It's Whizzer time!
Angry_Gumball
Gulf Coaster

Post by Angry_Gumball »

CGA's sky tower sits up at the top as well when the park closes. My first guess was that being as it's enclosed, you wouldn't want someone trespassing into the park and kind of wedge those doors open and camp out in it..I know, sounds like a ridiculous idea. I guess that keeping the cables unexposed from the weather makes more sense.
Cheesehead Dave
Yankee Clipper

Post by Cheesehead Dave »

The wind will make the cables clang against the side of the tower. Besides being noisy, it would also cause a lot of wear on the cables.
SFGAm Rides Host - 1990-1995
(1990-Demon, 1991-Power Dive/Cajun, 1992-Loggers, 1993-Eagle, 1994-Space Shuttle, 1995-Iron Wolf)
WestBurbs14
Yankee Clipper

Post by WestBurbs14 »

Good answers, all!
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Also, Didn't this also have to do with less tension on the counterweight... eh I heard that from someone., lol
The rides are GREAT, the shows are GREAT, the fun is GREAT, at Marriott's Great America! REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA, REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA!
RandyV
Willard's Whizzer

Post by RandyV »

We covered this a few years (!) ago ... here's the original thread:

http://www.greatamericaparks.com/forums ... .php?t=292
Randy V.
Gurnee will always be my home park...
Angry_Gumball
Gulf Coaster

Post by Angry_Gumball »

I guess this idea says the same for Drop Zone. They keep the cabin carriers parked up at the top while the cabins sit down below when the ride is closed, or if they're only using half of the tower.
Papas
Yankee Clipper

Post by Papas »

All parks I know of sit their tower rides at the top when not in use to keep the cables inside of the tower to prevent them for damage or blowing and hitting the tower. This includes STT and Giant Drop.