Gurnee Park in Winter

General discussion about Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

Service Tech 1,

Wow! I had not seen the other winter pics you posted. They are really "cool"! Pictures of the various rides that are snow covered (like the Z Force pic) are what I really like. Sky Whirl would've been very cool to see snow covered. I figure maintenance crews probably removed all the cabins from the arms of Sky Whirl for the winter months. So, the contrast of this ride against the backdrop of snow wouldn't be as strong.

The pictures you have of White Water Rampage will be fun to see. Thanks for your posts!

JW
Tech Services 1
Willard's Whizzer

Post by Tech Services 1 »

JW65 wrote: . . . Sky Whirl would've been very cool to see snow covered. I figure maintenance crews probably removed all the cabins from the arms of Sky Whirl for the winter months. . . .
JW
Yep, all of the cabins came off for maintenance, and I believe the motors were removed from the center of each arm as well.
The ride actually looked kinda pitiful and spindly in the winter, sorta like a flowering tree that lost all of its blossoms.
I know I have at least one picture of the Sky Whirl getting a new coat of paint on one of the arms. It's not one of the photos I took, it's a copy of a 35mm slide. I'll add it to my list of pics to post!

PPG
Technical Services technician
Gurnee park '81 - '86

Eegads, has it been that long?
Tech Services 1
Willard's Whizzer

For all of you snow lovers-
I've added a couple more winter pics to my photo gallery, and there are a few snow-covered pics in the new White Water Rampage Construction album.

Enjoy!

PPG
Gurnee park '81 - '86

JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

I hope everyone has an excellent Christmas and a healthy and happy New Year, 2007! Take a look at this thread and some of the pictures that people have linked to it, or have included in their galleries. They are fun at this time of year!

JW65
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

A year has passed since my last posting of this message. Now that winter is officially here, does anyone have any new pictures to post of Gurnee GA in winter?

Hope you are all enjoying the holiday season for 2007. Happy 2008!

JW65
Demonlover13
Tidal Wave

Post by Demonlover13 »

Merry Christmas Six Flags! If they stayed open and it was cold enough, I'd love it if they had ice skatin gon the reflection pool. lol, just a thought.
I need a great day this year, or 2, or 30!
Tech Services 1
Willard's Whizzer

I've added a couple more winter pictures from the early '80s
to my albums- seemed appropriate this time of year.
One is under Pictorium, the other is in Winter in Gurnee.

-PPG
Gurnee park '81 - '86

Demonlover13
Tidal Wave

Post by Demonlover13 »

Thank you!!!
I need a great day this year, or 2, or 30!