All things American Eagle!

General discussion about Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
Demonlover13
Tidal Wave

Post by Demonlover13 »

Cheesehead Dave wrote:I think one of my most memorable rides was during an AM test ride. There was a layer of fog on the ground that was so think, that going over the crest of the hill, you could not see the ground (or the rest of the park for that matter), and the track just seemed to disappear into nothingness.
\
Wow that sure sounds cool.
I need a great day this year, or 2, or 30!
WestBurbs14
Yankee Clipper

Post by WestBurbs14 »

Cheesehead Dave wrote:I think one of my most memorable rides was during an AM test ride. There was a layer of fog on the ground that was so think, that going over the crest of the hill, you could not see the ground (or the rest of the park for that matter), and the track just seemed to disappear into nothingness.
Cool!
Demonlover13
Tidal Wave

Post by Demonlover13 »

I wish I would've had the courage to ride it when it ran backwards. Of course, I was about 8 years old.
benzo41190
Gulf Coaster

Post by benzo41190 »

I never really liked the blue side backwards. Yeah. it was cool to go backwards but I hated where it goes under the structure after the helix because the ride seemed boring. For me, the only cool part was the first drop in the back because it felt like pure freefall. Hey, but it did make the wait for red even shorter.

I just wish that they would refurbish parts of the station and the old part of the Que a bit because it is looking pretty old.
Demonlover13
Tidal Wave

Post by Demonlover13 »

benzo41190 wrote:I never really liked the blue side backwards. Yeah. it was cool to go backwards but I hated where it goes under the structure after the helix because the ride seemed boring. For me, the only cool part was the first drop in the back because it felt like pure freefall. Hey, but it did make the wait for red even shorter.

I just wish that they would refurbish parts of the station and the old part of the Que a bit because it is looking pretty old.
I agree, the station does look pretty old.
Papas
Yankee Clipper

Post by Papas »

The entire station as well as parts of the track were re-painted in spring 07. :( at the fact its already looking bad again.
Demonlover13
Tidal Wave

Post by Demonlover13 »

damn....
CoasterComet
Gulf Coaster

Post by CoasterComet »

Anyone still around?

I've gotten a few great rides on the Eagle lately. Racing can still be hit or miss, but when it does, that really adds to the ride.

I've got a great idea (as I'm sure many coaster geeks do) as to how to re-do some of the Eagle. Make it smoother, faster all over (well, cept that first run out), etc. Mag brakes of course. Too bad it's at a park that would rather trash it and build a big mediocre B&M type ride.

The Eagle was REALLY bad in the late 80's-90's, before that first drop run was redone with the metal I-beam track. It was unbearably rough at times. It's much better now.
missedthemarriotera
Yankee Clipper

Post by missedthemarriotera »

a few years ago... it was the first year i was 48 inches, so i went with my uncle and stuff...... i got to the front of the line with 2 of my cousins... they agreed i'd have to sit by myself... so i just waited by the exit. the last time i went there in 2008, i went with my friend, who is 4 feet 1 inch. so i took her on her first roller coaster, witch was the american egale. i loved it, she loved it... i have been trying to learn tons of stuff about roller coasters and all the past few years... and i just started laughing when we first pulled into the station and she said "i like the part when your butt lifts out of the seat" it was a really fun ride... that day, we went on the three origanal marriot coasters... AE, demon, and whizzer, thats it. she said she liked it almost as much as demon... lol
ahahaha
Demonlover13
Tidal Wave

Post by Demonlover13 »

awwww, glad you two had fun.
missedthemarriotera
Yankee Clipper

thanks... i think i remember hearing something about the blue side running backward next year? does anyone have anything to conferm this? i sure hope it does
ahahaha
TripplePlay93
Yankee Clipper

Post by TripplePlay93 »

Sadly as much as we would want it to happen, blue will never run backwards again, unless they get backward specif trains.

My first ride on the Eagle

It was the summer of 2002, I was 8 years old, me and my dad took a day trip up to the park, I remember that we went on a few rides like Triple Play, and others, and then it was time for the beast. All I remember is me being really scared and wanting to stop the ride on the lift to get off. But I loved it and rode it again!
Great America, My dream come true

Save Great America Raceway.
missedthemarriotera
Yankee Clipper

one thing i really remember is the blue running backward the first time i saw the ride... and the last time me and my friend hunter went, the lines were so short you could go right up to the white gate things in 20 seconds... and we did not really know where we were going, so we just got in one of the lines and once we got on the ride... i got freaked out because i did not know that the blue stopped going backward... i had to to ask the people behind me if it went backward (by this time i had already asked hunter if she knew, and she was crying) it was kind of funny :)
ahahaha
TripplePlay93
Yankee Clipper

Post by TripplePlay93 »

I rode Blue backwards once, it was fun but nothing really special, just teh novelty of riding something that you know by heart and could easily draw out the path of it makes you want something more, just that extra kick that would make me scream like I used to.
Great America, My dream come true

Save Great America Raceway.
Arrow Guy
Gulf Coaster

Post by Arrow Guy »

I still think Eagle is one of the more impressive wood coasters in the country. I always looked forward to seeing the helix as we approached from 94 south (a view that was ruined a bit by Bull lol). I also love the night rides, although we usually hit Demon and Bull once it's dark.

I really miss the backwards trains. :(
Brad Sherman
Coaster modeler and overall park addict
Only 3 hours from Gurnee's Tidal Wave!