New Roller Coaster for Gurnee

all new discussions of the parks today -- California's Great America and Six Flags Great America -- should go here
jimmy gimbels
Yankee Clipper

New Roller Coaster for Gurnee

Post by jimmy gimbels »

New wooden roller coaster in the works for 2014 in Gurnee. Well, at least the idea was presented to the Gurnee Board. It looks as if it might start at the old Iron Wolf station and cut through the rarely used " wilderness theater" and a portion of camp cartoon. Previous rumors had SFGA going down to one kids area.

According to Screamscape:
"While it will be 165 feet tall, as I expected, it will drop 13 feet underground, for a total drop of 178 feet. Following this will be a second drop of 124 ft, then a 60 ft drop, and the fourth drop is 100 feet, followed by an 80ft, 65 ft and final 56 foot drop. This is a full circuit ride layout. Right before that forth drop that suddenly jumps in height is a weird track element in the middle of the ride..."
OldSchoolGAFan
Gulf Coaster

Re: New Roller Coaster for Gurnee

Post by OldSchoolGAFan »

http://fox6now.com/2013/08/29/six-flags ... r-coaster/

Offically annouced today (Thursday August 28)

The new coaster will be named Golliath and will use the former Iron Wolf station. Six Flags claims this will be the world's fastest wodden coaster. It will feature a 180 foot drop at 85 degrees, top speeds of 72 mph, a zero gravity roll, and an inverted zero gravity stall. It's expected to be ready for the 2014 season.
Road Rash
Buzzy Bee

Post by Road Rash »

I was at the park today and snapped this picture of the Goliath construction site while waiting at the County Fair train station.

steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Thanks, Road Rash!
Road Rash
Buzzy Bee

Post by Road Rash »

No problem, Steven.

It was my second visit to the park in two weeks and prior to that it had been about 15 years since my last visit to Great America. Since both my kids love the big rides now and my youngest is about ½” away from the magical 54” ride height now, I decided to get season passes for Great America in Gurnee for next season. The day I snapped the picture I was there to process the passes. Crowds were low due to threatening weather so we hung around into the afternoon to catch some rides with short lines. I was especially happy to ride Whizzer again since I missed it on my previous visit in August.

My son and I are both looking forward to Goliath. Since I’ll be visiting the park more often next year, I’ll be able to provide more updates on this ride as well as other changes to the park over the years.

Here’s my history with the park in a nutshell: I was 10 when I first visited the park in 1976. I had several visits in the late 70s into the early 80s. I also visited several times in the mid to late 90s with my wife before we had kids. When my kids were younger we went to small parks like Bay Beach in Green Bay and others in Wisconsin Dells. A trip to Disney World in Florida in early 2012 got me thinking about Great America again since my oldest was just starting to really get into the thrill rides. A year and a half later and here I am.
RandyV
Willard's Whizzer

Post by RandyV »

Goliath looks like a great addition to the park.
Randy V.
Gurnee will always be my home park...
OldSchoolGAFan
Gulf Coaster

Post by OldSchoolGAFan »

http://youtu.be/I68FxLuWgZI

Here's a YouTube video of the Goliath groundbreaking ceremony along with a Q&A session just after the ride was announced.
JimPanky
Buzzy Bee

Post by JimPanky »

Six Flags Great America is holding a Goliath Insider contest:
"Want to not only get a behind the scenes look of Goliath construction, but report on it to Six Flags fans? Then we have the opportunity for you! Six Flags Great America is looking for a coaster lover to report on Goliath’s construction.

Create a video telling us why it should be you! Be funny, be crazy, be a complete Goliath Guru! The possibilities are endless.

This broadcast will be a video update series that will be filmed at the park. All candidates must be willing to come to the park every two to three weeks throughout Goliath’s construction. The winner will get a back stage, behind-the-scenes tour of construction, and report the progress to all Six Flags fans via the official Six Flags Great America YouTube channel."
Learn about Scott Schaffer, by far the best contestant, and about the contest and how you can vote by clicking the link below.
https://www.facebook.com/ScottSchafferGoliathInsider

I, James Pankiewicz , officially endorse Scott Schaffer for Six Flags
Great America's Goliath Insider. I made this page on my own. Scott did not do this. I created this page on my own to promote Scott so we can have awesome updates on Goliath! Scott has by far the best video and is by far the best person for the job of Goliath Insider.
He has done work for news stories on WGN (ie the news spots on Goliath and Outlaw Run) and PBS.
He co-produced Indiana Beach's "Caw Me Maybe" video.
He co-owns One Wheel Productions.
He has filmed on construction sites of Hades 360, RMC's rehab of Cornball Express
His experience and his personality make him the best contestant for the job. Go vote for Scott Schaffer! https://www.facebook.com/SFGreatAmerica ... 3&app_data
OldSchoolGAFan
Gulf Coaster

Post by OldSchoolGAFan »

http://youtu.be/6CaTIuNYJBw

Posted yesterday (May 16th) on the Six Flags Youtube page: A brief video showing the topping off of the barrell roll portion of the ride.
OldSchoolGAFan
Gulf Coaster

Post by OldSchoolGAFan »

http://youtu.be/Xzg0bZCMz1s

Another YouTube video showing a fire in the loading station on June 6th. This is what has undoubtibly delayed the Goliaith opening to June 19th.
OldSchoolGAFan
Gulf Coaster

Post by OldSchoolGAFan »

http://fox6now.com/2014/06/18/wild-ride ... r-coaster/

A report from Today's (June 18th) media day for Goliath from my local Fox station.
Road Rash
Buzzy Bee

Post by Road Rash »

I didn't actually get to ride Goliath until August 15th. On previous visits this year the lines were too long for my kids and I. On the 15th was a Coaster after Dark event for pass holders and we only had to wait about an hour for it. Both my kids and I loved it. Goliath has got to be the most intense ride I've been on since Shockwave.

We plan on getting on about 2 or 3 more trips out there this year. Next season I 'll probably skip the passes and get them late next season for an every other year type thing. The offers for next season passes come out in late August and get you in the park for the rest of that season and the entire next season.