Yankee Clipper's glory days are BACK!!!!!! For the big 30!

General discussion about Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
Mr. D.T.
Yankee Clipper

Yankee Clipper's glory days are BACK!!!!!! For the big 30!

Post by Mr. D.T. »

BIG news! The classic (and more sensical) name Yankee Clipper has returned to the map and did away with the lame "Ice Mountain Splash" for sure! The only problem is that the logo for the entrance has been 'modernized' and the old entrance is still gone (V2 stands there now). :lol: But I'm glad they put the old name back.
"Park Base to Unit 100 and all base stations please be advised.....we have the 4 O'Clock 1085. A. 1.4; B. 23.5; C. 28.7; D. 5.1. The temperature is 77 degrees.
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Re: Yankee Clipper's glory days are BACK!!!!!! For the big

Post by that_guy »

Mr. D.T. wrote:BIG news! The classic (and more sensical) name Yankee Clipper has returned to the map and did away with the lame "Ice Mountain Splash" for sure! The only problem is that the logo for the entrance has been 'modernized' and the old entrance is still gone (V2 stands there now). :lol: But I'm glad they put the old name back.
Cool, Anyone have any pics of the new logo/sign?
The rides are GREAT, the shows are GREAT, the fun is GREAT, at Marriott's Great America! REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA, REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA!
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

What do you mean by "modernized"?
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
Mr. D.T.
Yankee Clipper

Post by Mr. D.T. »

I'm sorry I couldn't take pics of the new sign, but you should know that Ice Mountain is now off the contract. Dannon is now the water company which sponsors the park. I was working at a buyout today and I noticed they changed the sign. You can go to the park on opening day and find out for yourself.
"Park Base to Unit 100 and all base stations please be advised.....we have the 4 O'Clock 1085. A. 1.4; B. 23.5; C. 28.7; D. 5.1. The temperature is 77 degrees.
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

This is great news, I glad to hear that the name ''Yankee Clipper'' is back. I much rather see the original name used rather than any corporate sponsered name. I hope this ride is open more this year, the last couple times I was at the park (which were on weekdays) it was closed.
SFGAmfreak4life
Willard's Whizzer

Post by SFGAmfreak4life »

Good news. I wish the old sign returned too but I guess that doesnt matter too much since the name is back.
Mr. D.T.
Yankee Clipper

Post by Mr. D.T. »

Not so fast. What about to the old entrance?

The Yankee Clipper sign is more modernized and 'fit in' to the age of bubblegum pop. It would be nice if the old sign did return indeed, but I guess it wouldn't matter since half the theming in Yankee Harbor is gone anyway. At least New England Cafe sells catfish again. And they have a new sign, and yes, it is not like the original neon sign. It's rather ugly to me. :)
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

Here's the new sign:
I like the old one better.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
Mr. D.T.
Yankee Clipper

Post by Mr. D.T. »

Me too.
SFGAmfreak4life
Willard's Whizzer

Post by SFGAmfreak4life »

I saw the new sign yesterday and I dont like it. This sign is just too plain and the colors dont look right. Even though I didnt like the name I think the Ice Mountain (Natural Spring Water) Splash sign looked better. The old entrance cant come back unless V2 is removed.
ghostrider455
Buzzy Bee

Post by ghostrider455 »

Well one of the reasons that the sign does not look right is because it is not finished. It was shown on the nbc preview that there will be a oval shaped nautical themed painting above the words yankee clipper in that empty spot.
Frank D
Buzzy Bee

Post by Frank D »

Glad to see its back.
Frank
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

Thanks for posting the photo, I look forward in seeing when it's finished.
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Post by RLAiello »

Hey, as long as they brought back the original name, that's all that matters. The sign looks fine.
Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

ghostrider455 wrote:Well one of the reasons that the sign does not look right is because it is not finished. It was shown on the nbc preview that there will be a oval shaped nautical themed painting above the words yankee clipper in that empty spot.
You are right.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007