49er's possible BACKUP PLAN for stadium in PGA parking lot

Share your memories of working at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA in Santa Clara
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

49er's possible BACKUP PLAN for stadium in PGA parking lot

Post by redfishpaw »

There was some press on July 18 from several sources (just a few below) about the 49's considering the PGA parking lot as a BACKUP PLAN for their new stadium. Cedar Fair would have to agree to it. San Francisco is still the location of choice.
:arrow: http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/SF/9560659
:arrow: http://www.sanfranciscosentinel.com/new ... 0718.shtml
:arrow: http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercuryn ... 070494.htm
Is the PGA parking lot really that large? I thought several portions were already sold off.
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Yeah, I don't know about this, where would parking for the park go? Under ground? Either way I hope this back-up plan falls through.
The rides are GREAT, the shows are GREAT, the fun is GREAT, at Marriott's Great America! REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA, REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA!
dpxtreme
Tidal Wave

Post by dpxtreme »

Most of it would be built on the over-flow parking lot just over that little bridge next to where the 49'ers practice.
eight10
Gulf Coaster

Post by eight10 »

A parking structure would be nice.
Santa Clara '97-???
retlawfan
Yankee Clipper

Post by retlawfan »

It's a little off topic, but I think they added that little extra parking lot when they sold off the land for the Hotel.

If they were to sell or lease the land to the 49ers, they would have to build some sort of parking structure. It would probably be similar to Disneyland's Mickey and Friends parking structure that most people hate, although it would be a lot smaller.

Doesn't Great America/Cedar Fair actually lease the land from the City of Santa Clara? Wouldn't the lease of the property be with Santa Clara anyway with Cedar Fair approval/lease buy out?
Great America Security
Santa Clara
1989-1992
soupkid
Gulf Coaster

Post by soupkid »

retlawfan wrote:If they were to sell or lease the land to the 49ers, they would have to build some sort of parking structure. It would probably be similar to Disneyland's Mickey and Friends parking structure that most people hate, although it would be a lot smaller.

Doesn't Great America/Cedar Fair actually lease the land from the City of Santa Clara? Wouldn't the lease of the property be with Santa Clara anyway with Cedar Fair approval/lease buy out?
Isn't there a parking structure there that belongs to the business park right next to the parking lot (where the old parking lot entrance was)? Perhaps they could make modifications and lease it on weekends. Clearly the present parking lot is sufficient for weekdays. Heck, even on weekends the lot doesn't fill up.

And yes, the land that PGA sits on is owned by the city.
Station1
Gulf Coaster

Post by Station1 »

I agree with retlawfan, they could put up a parking structure and shuttle/tram guests to the front gate, although looking on google-earth, I do not think the PGA lot would be big enough for a stadium and parking lot and there are not many large enough areas to build a big enough structure that would support a busy summer crowd. Although, as for stadium parking, they could do like PETCO Park in San Diego which has no parking lot, it relies on public transportation getting to & from games/events. Looks like the largest amount of space would be off the 237/Calaveras.

I like the Micky & Friends parking structure at DL, especially when it keeps the car cool on summer days! Yeh, the ride to & from the park to the structure can seem forever, but without that structure they would not have been able to build DCA to thin out the crowds...a little.