Earthquakes

General discussion about Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
dth1971
Yankee Clipper

Earthquakes

Post by dth1971 »

Has Marriott's/Paramount's Great America in Santa Clara, california ever survived almost all California earthquakes from 1976 to the present?
Tanya
Willard's Whizzer

Post by Tanya »

I don't recall any damage from earthquakes.
jenjenrebecca
Buzzy Bee

Post by jenjenrebecca »

After the '89 quake, there was some stuff that got tweaked, at least in the theaters. But nothing that wasn't fixable. Mostly things like lighting and scenery that lived in the fly loft.
BroadwayBill
Gulf Coaster

Quakes

Post by BroadwayBill »

We had a quake back in '79... Music America was in the Grand Music Hall. The quake hit about 10:00 the morning and I think our shows started at 12:30 that day. The quake woke me up at home about 15 minutes before the alarm was due to go off. It was pretty strong. I remember calling Tom Cluff, production manager, and asking if we were going to be cancelling the 12:30 show (I wanted to go back to sleep!) He said he had been standing onstage in Music Hall and some lights bashed together and broke but the show was going to go on at 12:30... so I get to work on time and find that they delayed opening the park until they checked out all the rides. They ended up cancelling the 12:30 anyway. Grrrrrr.