Demon Rock Scuplture

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
Santa Cruisin
Yankee Clipper

Demon Rock Scuplture

Post by Santa Cruisin »

Anybody ever notice the different style of rock work between the two Demon coasters? I wonder why they did it differently? In photos it's easy to figure out which park you're looking at. Were there any other subtle differences between the two coasters? How about today? Anything different between them?
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

I have wondered about the different rock styles, too. The Santa Clara rock structures had a bumpy, coal-colored finish. The Gurnee rock structures originally had more of a smooth, sandstone-like finish. I'm not sure if they have that same finish today. As far as I know, the finishes on the rock structures were the only noticeable differences between the two rides.

Steven
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

Steven,

That last GA Parks homepage photo you posted (before the MGA sign in Gurnee) was of the Demon. I was wondering if the picture was taken during the construction of the rock structure tunnels. I didn't remember seeing the tunnels near the loops in that picture you posted. Please confirm for us.

Jeff
Santa Cruisin
Yankee Clipper

Post by Santa Cruisin »

When I see newer photos of the Gurnee Demon it looks like they kept the original coaster train color style; Red w/black trim and Yellow w/black trim. The Santa Clara Demon has the red rails and the coaster trains are all black with red trim.

Did they build a hill with a tunnel for the Great America RR under the first turn of the Demon in Gurnee like they did in Santa Clara?
SFGAmLover
Yankee Clipper

Post by SFGAmLover »

The only tunnel I've ever known in Gurnee is the one alongside Demon's lighted tunnel.
WARNING: This message was composed on a computer in a household where peanuts and peanut products are served.
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

Santa Cruisin wrote: Did they build a hill with a tunnel for the Great America RR under the first turn of the Demon in Gurnee like they did in Santa Clara?
There were actually 2 of them. One was right next to the Tunnel of lights, and the 2nd was under the lift hill. In later years, the one under the lift hill was removed.

On this page, the 3rd picture down shows where the two train tunnel's were located.

http://www.negative-g.com/SFGAM/SFGAM80s/SFGAM80s1.html

That page also has a good shot of the Demon's ride sign (complete with blood red water, glowing eyes, and grate).
===========================================
Mr. Brian Plencner
SFGAm Employee: 1988-1992
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

JW65 wrote:Steven,

That last GA Parks homepage photo you posted (before the MGA sign in Gurnee) was of the Demon. I was wondering if the picture was taken during the construction of the rock structure tunnels. I didn't remember seeing the tunnels near the loops in that picture you posted. Please confirm for us.

Jeff
Hi, Jeff,

Here is the photo:

This photo shows the construction of the rock structures at the loops.

Steven
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

I would think that the rocks would have been built by local companys near to each of the parks. These would be the same companys that build rocks at zoos, mini golf, etc. I would think the the rocks look different because the company local to SC had there own style or look which just happen to be different than the company local to the park in Gurnee. I know of one such company in Mequon WI.
Ninsports2
Buzzy Bee

Demon Rock work

Post by Ninsports2 »

The reason for the different rock sculptures is simple. Two different contractors did the gunite work for MGA. Cost Inc. from Rockfield, WI did all the rock work at Gurnee.. My dad used to work for them. 8)
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Thanks, Ninsports2.

Steven
akorbel
Gulf Coaster

Post by akorbel »

Last time I was at PGA-a few years ago now-I seem to remember that some of the rock structures had been removed?
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

At PGA, the rock structures around the vertical loops were removed. The rock structure at the corkscrew with the demon face and waterfall is still there.

Steven