santa clara tidal wave

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
imdaman
Willard's Whizzer

santa clara tidal wave

Post by imdaman »

Does anyone here have any pics (or know of some links) of the santa clara tidal wave in the final years (when it became greased lightnin).... I'm talking about the que line, the outside of the station, or the path next to the action theater that lead to the entrance? Thanks kids!
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

m11stephen2
Yankee Clipper

Post by m11stephen2 »

rcdb.com you can also see pics of the dismantled ride at marine world.
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

ok so I tend to always bring up Great America with friends (after a while it gets annoying :( , but not for me :D ). Well a friend of mine had an experience on Greazed Lightnin: He sat in the front seat, and on the large incline past the loop they actually went to the very top! he said he heard all sorts of weird noises and a bump when he could no longer see anymore track. I was like REALLY, THAT WOULD BE TOTALLY FREAKY!!! So I was wondering has anyone ever seen something like this happen when it was the Tidal wave or Greazed lightnin?
Last edited by that_guy on Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
m11stephen2
Yankee Clipper

Post by m11stephen2 »

Ive never seen it but newer shuttle coasters have something on the top of the towers to keep the train on track.
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

There is an explanation for the Greased Lightnin' photo set linked in the post above. In 2002 I worked on a special project for the twenty-fifth anniversary of Tidal Wave / Greased Lightnin'. To commemorate the actual anniversary, Brad Sherman of Ohio built a detailed and realistic model of the coaster. To do the work on the model, he needed reference photos, especially historic shots as well as a variety of details of the station. At the time, I did not have a digital still camera. I took these photos as digital stills using my video camera. Brad used these for reference in building his incredible model. He donated the model to the park.

Steven
imdaman
Willard's Whizzer

Post by imdaman »

m11stephen2, thanks I did view those pics, so depressing. And Steven, you always have the pics I wish I had! I wish I knew about the anniversary because I would have gone or been involved if possible. By the way, I saw a couple pics of that anniversary celebration, did you happen to have any more pics? I also remember that the tidal wave model was donated to the park, and it mentioned that the model was on display at guest relations at PGA. Well, the guest relations inside the park is an empty building now, I wonder where the model is now.
imdaman
Willard's Whizzer

Post by imdaman »

Currently at PGA, the lower portion of the tidal wave station is still visible. It is now painted a dark white color. You can see it if you stand next to the action theater, and peer through the trees where the sidewalk leading to the ride entrance was (the sidewalk is gone and dirt is now there, plus the railing was extended so no one can walk back there).
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

Here is the link to Brad's Tidal Wave model
http://www.angelfire.com/oh4/tk173/modelstidalwave.html
m11stephen2
Yankee Clipper

Post by m11stephen2 »

Thats so cool!!! If the ride sits to much longer at marine world theyll probably end up scrapping it since it will be all rusted. Kind of what happened with shockwave.
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Or it will be sold because Six Flags is money hungry, but not likely in its condition. I wish it was still at Great America :( !!!!
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

Dismantling photo

click here if image doesn't show http://www.bigge.com/photos/details.php?image_id=89
Last edited by redfishpaw on Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Oh yeah, what happened to that photo gallery? I can't find it anymore, with the lights and the rocks…
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

redfishpaw wrote:Dismantling photo
:cry:
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
m11stephen2
Yankee Clipper

Post by m11stephen2 »

What did they replace tidal wave with?