1982 to 1987

Share your memories of working at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA in Santa Clara
SantaClara82to87
Buzzy Bee

1982 to 1987

Post by SantaClara82to87 »

Hey everyone,

I found this site while looking up info for an upcoming trip back to the Bay Area, thinking of taking my kids to GA. Well I started in foods when Kids Kingdom opened in 82, Then the last 2 years I worked Concerts when Redwood opened in 86.

Anybody remember the employee movie nights they had in the yukon saloon?

Brian
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Hi, Brian,

Welcome to the site!

In Gurnee, we had employee movie nights in the Pictorium.

Steven
SantaClara82to87
Buzzy Bee

Post by SantaClara82to87 »

I think we had some in the Pictorium also, but the ones in the saloon, you could have popcorm, peanuts, and drinks while watching the show.

Brian
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Post by RLAiello »

My fondest memories were of the "Big Bash" every year, when entire sections of the park would be open (mostly rides and a couple food stands) to park employees after park closing. Most of the time it was in County Fair, so we could ride the Eagle, Demon, and Iron Wolf (remember I only worked there in the late 80s-early 90s) and play all the games.

When I worked the late shift in Cash Control, though... it sucked, because we had to work... although they let us out to enjoy some of the festivities.

And of course when I was full-time (only the last two years or so), I had to work the event. :)
Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

RLAiello,

I remember them as well. Each season, I always looked forward to "Big Bash", as it was always a lot of fun.

Back in the late 80's and early 90's there were more video games and pinball machines in the arcades in County Fair, so I played them a lot. Of course, there was a lot of free food and drinks.

I also remember that a few of the games in the games gallery were open with reduced prices. In fact, I won a really large gumby from the crystal plate game (the one where you have to land the quarter on a plate). For Big Bash, it was only 10 cents instead of 25 cents.

Good times, good times :D
===========================================
Mr. Brian Plencner
SFGAm Employee: 1988-1992
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

I still have a plush dragon that I won at mid 80's Big Bash event. It was from the free throw type game. (I dont remember the official name of the game)
tasod
Gulf Coaster

Post by tasod »

Howdy Brian,
I remember those little burgers they used to sell in KK. I loved em!

The employee nights were fun. I still have my Employee Night Luau frisbee (the pic is in my folder) and I ended up moving to Hawaii :)
Last edited by tasod on Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1980 - 1989 Santa Clara - Retail Employee
(Started in Magic) Resale Training Supe.
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Post by RLAiello »

Speaking of luau (and sorry that this is getting off-topic from Santa Clara, where this thread is located, but it's nice to reminisce)...

My first year at SFGAm, I was asked to help plan the Park Operations Luau. Every year (at least at the time), the Park Operations department would throw a luau in the picnic grove for all of its employees. The Luau was organized by Gene Schmidt, who (at the time) was one of the few remaining supervisors from "Day One", and was also in charge of training, as I remember. (Is he even still there?).

As luaus go, it wasn't all that much of a luau.. but it was a fun party. I hardly knew anyone because I worked at the Front Gate at the time, and most everyone else was in rides... but I remember it being a fun night.

Does anyone else here remember the luaus? Brian, you worked in Park Ops you should certainly remember them! :)
Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999
Station1
Gulf Coaster

Post by Station1 »

I think my favorite was Game Show night in Theatre Royale...I remember they blasted the song, "You Spin Me Round" by Dead Or Alive...

Off topic, I also participated in Rides Cleanup during the off season where we deep-cleaned various rides, painted railings and did things we were not suppose to, all in fun of course! :wink:
84-85 Area Host - Hometown
86-87 Rides - Whizzer (86) Revolution (87)
1987 Rides - New Orleans (Rue/Delta/Orbit)
88-89 Rides - New Orleans (" " RR Rapids)
89-95 Loss Prevention - Station One