July 4th

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
PGA ROCKS
Tidal Wave

July 4th

Post by PGA ROCKS »

My parents worked (and met) at the Santa Clara park. They say that for the fourth of July, the crowds are extremely large. Does anyone have words to describe it (for those who have worked or been there on the day)?
I miss Tidal Wave
SFGAmLover
Yankee Clipper

Post by SFGAmLover »

Hi,

Not to be picky, but this topic probably does not belong in the Rides section. Perhaps Steven can move it for us. But I digress...

Although I cannot speak for the SC park back in the Marriott days, I have visted the Gurnee park (in the last 5 years or so) on the 4th of July a couple of times, and I don't recall much of a difference in crowds. It's pretty cool being on a coaster or other tall ride and being able to see literally dozens of fireworks displays all around the neighboring cities/villages... in addition to the park's display itself.
WARNING: This message was composed on a computer in a household where peanuts and peanut products are served.
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

SFGAmLover wrote:It's pretty cool being on a coaster or other tall ride and being able to see literally dozens of fireworks displays all around the neighboring cities/villages... in addition to the park's display itself.
I agree with you there. This last 4th of July, I rode Eagle over and over, as the crowds were somewhat light that night on Eagle, and I was able to see at least 20 different sets of fireworks.

But, I do need to let you and everyone else know that the Gurnee Park no longer does a firework show on July 4th. The Village of Gurnee now has their own celebration, and they take care of the Fireworks. I had a talk with the current Park President (Ron Severet..sorry if I spelled the last name wrong), and he said that it just got to expenisve to do that every year. Its a shame, as the park really did put on a wonderful show.
===========================================
Mr. Brian Plencner
SFGAm Employee: 1988-1992
Tanya
Willard's Whizzer

Post by Tanya »

I do remember a 4th of July weekend where I sat on the floor of a ticket both and counted and dropped nothing but twentys for more than an hour straight. I'd say it was extremely busy. This was probably back in '84.
akorbel
Gulf Coaster

Post by akorbel »

PGA definitely does fireworks on or around 4th of July. This year, I think they set them off the Friday and Saturday before the 4th. All of the freeway exits that you could use to access Great America Parkway were closed in preparation (a big mess!). They didn't set off fireworks on the 4th itself--the 4th being Monday--and PGA being located in Silicon Valley where it's work, work, work Monday thru Friday and no one has time for Monday fireworks LOL.
Tanya
Willard's Whizzer

Post by Tanya »

I remember all those roads around SC filled with cars for the fireworks. The year I worked the parking tolls, our boss had the great idea of selling parking tickets and filling the lot bumper to bumper just for the fireworks. I don't think it was the brightest idea in the world.
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

SFGAmLover wrote:Hi,

Not to be picky, but this topic probably does not belong in the Rides section. Perhaps Steven can move it for us. But I digress...
Yes, it would have been a better fit in the "Remembering MGA" section, but I'll leave it here given that the Fourth of July crowds are related to how long the lines are for the rides on that day. :-)

Steven
imdaman
Willard's Whizzer

Post by imdaman »

I worked 4th of july only a few years ago at PGA, and I can tell you that it's absolutely insane. The crowds of people go into the park constantly all day. It's a day I recommend to people not to go to the park except to see the fireworks. I had to drive a company vehicle through the main parking lot, and it was stop dead with traffic.
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

In 1985 I worked on the Yankee Clipper and I remember fireworks being a nightly thing (at least for july). I would like to request to work at one of the upper stations so I could watch them. In general, it was quite peaceful to be in the upper stations at night. It was nice overlooking the Yankee Harbor with everything all lite up.