Remembering Astroworld

General discussion about Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
steven
Site Admin

Remembering Astroworld

Post by steven »

I just added the start of a special page in honor of Astroworld (http://www.greatamericaparks.com/astroworld.html), which has been permanently closed as of 30 October 2005. In looking through some old Astroworld items, I saw a 1969 newspaper article in which Astroworld's general manager was named Gene Patrick. Could this be "our" Gene Patrick of Marriott's GREAT AMERICA fame?

Steven
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

Thanks Steven,
I especially liked this page with the 3 photos of Astrowheel (early Skywhirl)
:arrow: http://www.sixflagshouston.com/photos/AstroWheel
imdaman
Willard's Whizzer

Post by imdaman »

Steven, I have no clue, but who is Gene to great america?
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

I don't know his exact title, but "key Marriott magic maker" could be an apt description. He produced and directed the shows in the Grand Music Hall and was credited also with all or most of the parks' music. He also wrote the "Carousel Song". There's probably a lot more that I'm leaving out.

Steven
dwolo
Gulf Coaster

Post by dwolo »

Gene Patrick was the Vice President of Show Operations for Marriott's. Gene was responsible for the entertainment concepts of the parks. When the parks opened, the Show Department was HUGE! Along with the Music Hall shows there were The Bugs Bunny shows in Theatre Royle, which Gene wrote, The Circus, The Wilderness Theater Show, A Saloon show, The Merry Mardi Gras Parade, A Marching Band, The Barbershop Quartet, A Dixieland Band, Log Rollers and Climbers, a Drillteam and the Street Characters. And I was told that it was Gene who had the idea of removing the hills in the Turn of The Century and adding the loops and themeing to make it The Demon.
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Thanks, Dave, for the additional info. The part about the Demon idea, however, might be "too much information" for me as a Turn of the Century purist. The removed hills were the most outstanding feature of the ride. They just didn't get the respect that they deserved while the "new-fangled" loops were all the rage back then. I'd trade the loops back for the original hills in an instant.

Anyway, back to Gene Patrick... Was he ever the general manager of Astroworld? I know that he has long-term connections to Texas.

Steven
dwolo
Gulf Coaster

Post by dwolo »

I know Gene got his start at Six Flags Over Texas. So I'm sure he would have gotten over to Astroworld at some point.
Mr. D.T.
Yankee Clipper

Post by Mr. D.T. »

I don't know why Steven wants to trade the loops for the 'original hills' on the Demon when we have the same features on Viper and American Eagle. Gene Patrick added the loops and the tunnel to the coaster because they were a unique element of the ride along with the corkscrew at the end. Another one of Gene's popular works is the legendary Carousel Song.
"Park Base to Unit 100 and all base stations please be advised.....we have the 4 O'Clock 1085. A. 1.4; B. 23.5; C. 28.7; D. 5.1. The temperature is 77 degrees.
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

I agree with Steven, I would prefer to have the original bunny hills instead of Arrow's (now not so unique) cookie cutter loops.
Mr. D.T.
Yankee Clipper

Post by Mr. D.T. »

You and Steven can prefer the original bunny hops since I never seen the ride when it was TOTC. I'm just saying that I assume Viper and Eagle's bunny hops give you more airtime.
"Park Base to Unit 100 and all base stations please be advised.....we have the 4 O'Clock 1085. A. 1.4; B. 23.5; C. 28.7; D. 5.1. The temperature is 77 degrees.
twixmix0303
Yankee Clipper

Post by twixmix0303 »

Compared to the airtime on the first drop, back row, what were the bunny hills like? About the same?
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

The airtime on the Turn of the Century's second and third hills was extreme, unequaled, and unsurpassed. No airtime on any of the park's other coasters is comparable. You'd have to ride it to understand. Now, of course, those hills are lost forever and none like them are to be found anywhere in existence. Yet, loops are everywhere. :(

Steven
Mr. D.T.
Yankee Clipper

Post by Mr. D.T. »

Now we understand each other Steven. That's what I meant to say. I never did ride Turn of the Century but I know you did. So you take it not even Raging Bull or Viper beats TOTC. We all have different opinions.
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

Check out this forum on the demolition of the park, also covered are some of the flat ride relocations. Apparently the site Admin is there helping, so he has hands on knowledge. No photos yet.

:arrow: http://www.astroworldpark.com/forum/for ... asp?FID=15
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

Here are some Astroworld demolion photos

:arrow: http://sixflagshouston.com/forums/viewt ... 2&start=30