More Construction Photos Please!

General discussion about Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
JW65
Tidal Wave

More Construction Photos Please!

Post by JW65 »

Steven,

The most recent home page picture, the construction of the Grand Music Hall building in Santa Clara, is very interesting. I have always been fascinated with seeing construction pictures of Great America. I guess its all about that "before all the hoopla began at the park" that makes it interesting. Amazing too is that the pictures you post are so clear and look new. They were taken almost 30 years ago! Do you have many other construction photos that we have not seen here yet? The close up ones are even more interesting than the aerial ones.

Jeff
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

I'll second that. Jeff is right, I also found th elatest cover photo extremely interesting. It might be nice to have a gallery for construction photos. Most of the construction photos that I have seen are aerials. I also like the shywhirl photos (in the skywhirl gallery) taken of the ride just before it opened.
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

Steven,

What new construction photo can you post for us next?

Jeff
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

Steven,

Thanks for posting the picture of construction of Columbia. It is neat to see.
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Jeff,

You're welcome. I'm glad that you like the new photo!

Steven
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

I really like the construction photos Steven. Do you have plans to assemble a special place/folder where construction photos can be looked at on your site?
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Thanks, Jeff, for the further feedback on the construction photos. Eventually, in the history section <http://www.greatamericaparks.com/history.html>, there will be construction photo albums.

Steven
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Great addition :D
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

Steven,

Very nice draft site plan for todays cover photo. It's interesting to see how large the pond is around the flumes. Also, It looks like there was a large ship, planned for the center of the pond. There are several large buildings which were not built. One in yankee harbor, by Tidal wave bathrooms. Another is in Yukon territory, in the fort fun area. Also, nothing is shown for TOTC. Very nice drawing. Thank you for posting this.
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Thanks for the feedback on the site plan image. I've had a request for a higher-resolution version. This image, however, comes from a 35mm slide that is not razor-sharp to begin with. That means that on a higher-resolution scan, it is still tough -- and in many places, practically impossible -- to read the "fine print". Nevertheless, you can take a look at a much larger version (approximately 589 KB file size) here for a limited time only:

http://www.greatamericaparks.com/temp/siteplan001a.jpg

Comments?

Steven
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

Just noticed that they were originally going to call Hometown Square 'Hometown USA'.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

Very nice. Thanks Steven. I just printed it out on some 11X17 photo paper, it looks pretty good