SC Sky Whirl replacing

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
PGA ROCKS
Tidal Wave

SC Sky Whirl replacing

Post by PGA ROCKS »

Do you think Invertigo is better than Sky Whirl?

Personally, I prefer Invertigo.
I miss Tidal Wave
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

No, Invertigo is not better than Sky Whirl. That's my opinion, obviously. The question really shouldn't even be "Is Invertigo better than Sky Whirl?". The park could have had both. They could have shoehorned Invertigo into another spot. Adding Invertigo did not have to mean the removal of Sky Whirl.

There actually were plans to relocate the Sky Whirl (actually the Triple Wheel, as it was called in Santa Clara in its final years) to Paramount's Carowinds. That would have been a better outcome than scrapping the ride. Unfortunately, those plans were never carried out.

Steven
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

SKY WHIRL!!
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

I believe Sky Whirl would have been a Great ride to keep, i mean the SC park does not have any real relaxing rides at the park anymore, I really wish they kept it :(
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

Yes,

Carowinds and Sky Whirl (not triple wheel) have a nice ring to them. It would have been a good place for relocation. Of course they would have renamed the ride again....Wonder what it would have been that time?
PGA ROCKS
Tidal Wave

Post by PGA ROCKS »

Now that I think about it, I agree with Steven. I did enjoy Sky Whirl a lot. Even though the last time I rode it, I was like 5 years old, it was a fun ride. I agree that they could have put Invertigo in another place. In my opinion, they should have removed Vortex, and put Invertigo there. Besides, I never existed when PGA was MGA. I was born in 1991.
I miss Tidal Wave
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

I will also go with Skywhirl, for both parks. SFGA duplicated PGA's mistake. Deja vu is nothing more that a giant lawn ornament. I wonder how long that thing is going to stand there.
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

Skywhirl as well for me.
===========================================
Mr. Brian Plencner
SFGAm Employee: 1988-1992
m11stephen2
Yankee Clipper

Post by m11stephen2 »

Whatever happend to that third skywhirl that was made for that park that was never built?
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

I believe it was scrapped. Are there even any more triple wheels in the world?
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

I am fairly certain that the orders for rides for the third Marriott's GREAT AMERICA park were never placed. It would make sense for them to wait until they had an approved site for the park before ordering the rides.

As far as I know there were only two other "Sky Whirls" (actually called Tree Triple Wheels by Intamin) in the world. There was one in Japan and one in Korea. Both have been taken down in recent years. I don't know if they were scrapped or relocated. I've not heard of them popping up in another location, so my fear is that they are also gone for good.

Steven