American Eagle Question

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
RandyV
Willard's Whizzer

American Eagle Question

Post by RandyV »

Ok ... I was just looking over some recent photos of the American Eagle and noticed that they added some (what appears to be) cross-bracing at the bottom of the first drop. Was this done to create some kind of faux tunnel at the bottom of the first drop or was there truly some structual issue? I believe there were rumors a few years back out the integrity of the ride ...

This forum is really taking me back. I rode the Eagle when it first opened and remmber waiting in line a full 3.5 hours. Those were the days!
Randy V.
Gurnee will always be my home park...
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Hi, Randy,

Based on my casual observation, it appears that the American Eagle originally had supports in that area, but on the sides -- not OVER the tracks at the bottom of the first drop. As I seem to recall, the bracing was changed some years ago and placed over the tracks at the bottom of the first drop as you are observing now. Aesthetically, I preferred it the original way because of the unobstructed view all the way to the bottom of the first drop and beyond. I don't know what structural issues or other reasons may have called for this change.

Steven
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

Steven,
When are you going to do American Eagle's page?
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
zjohn1988
Buzzy Bee

Post by zjohn1988 »

steven wrote:Hi, Randy,

Based on my casual observation, it appears that the American Eagle originally had supports in that area, but on the sides -- not OVER the tracks at the bottom of the first drop. As I seem to recall, the bracing was changed some years ago and placed over the tracks at the bottom of the first drop as you are observing now. Aesthetically, I preferred it the original way because of the unobstructed view all the way to the bottom of the first drop and beyond. I don't know what structural issues or other reasons may have called for this change.

Steven
The footers are still there in the ground from the supports too.