When Did Whizzer Get Its Catwalks?

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
SFGAmLover
Yankee Clipper

When Did Whizzer Get Its Catwalks?

Post by SFGAmLover »

I was looking at the Willard's Whizzer pics on the site and wondered if anyone knew when the catwalks were added. Did both parks start with none and then add them at the same time?

Andy
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Hi,

The catwalks on the spiral lifts were added later at both parks. I don't know exactly when they were added, though. Some detective work looking through dated old photos might reveal the answer. Or maybe someone who knows will post the info!

Steven
ewilson
Yankee Clipper

Whizzer catwalks

Post by ewilson »

The Whizzer ended up breaking down quite often, (As opposed to what was said in court when the park was being sued over the death on the ride.) and power failures were often. This would strand riders on the part of the ride that needed full power to move the trains. The catwalks were added to evacuate the passangers.

The same thing was added to the Tidal Wave on the far side of the loop after misfires (breaking cables) or breaking failures would strand the train on the other side of the loop. Again to evacuate the passangers.

It was interseting to see them reset the Tidal Wave when this happend as they would get one of the Jeep pickups they had and load the back of it with maintanace men, hook a cable up to the back and tow the train to the top of the end of the ride, and then let the cable go and the train would fall and arive back at the station.

Once when a cable broke that held the weight that propelled the ride, the weight dropped free fall. I was in the Bugs Beanery at the time, which was right next to it. It scared everone inside so bad we all ran out to see what had happend. When the cable broke it had spun wildly and threw 1 inch long freys of wire all over the sevice road, and many had stuck into the wooden fence that ran along the Grand Music Hall. I wish I had a picture.
Shockwavegirl
Yankee Clipper

Post by Shockwavegirl »

Another thing about the whizzer lift is that it isn't driven by a chain like other coasters, it is an electrified track like a subway rail, and in light rain in tend to short out, leaving passengers stranded, it's also there so that in the event of a lift stop for a ride malfunction an employee could go up there to calm down passengers and keep the stupid people from standing and goofing off.
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

As an update in response to Andy's original question, I've found photos from 1977 that have the catwalks. My GUESS would be that they were added between the 1976 and 1977 seasons. If I can pin it down further, I'll let you know.

Steven