Passing Through Gurnee

General discussion about Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
JW65
Tidal Wave

Passing Through Gurnee

Post by JW65 »

Hey Everyone...

I was passing through Gurnee this past weekend (11/5 and 11/6/05) and went by SFGAm. If you take the ramp from Milwaukee Ave. onto I94, you get very close to the Eagle's helix and notice how impressive it is. I was on a road trip to Door County Wisconsin. From the expressway, the park looked quiet and peaceful.

On the way back from our trip we stopped in the McDonalds off Grand and I noticed their wall paintings have a rollercoaster theme to them. It was cool. From the parking lot you can clearly see the taller rides such as Sky Trek Tower and Raging Bull.

Jeff
twixmix0303
Yankee Clipper

Post by twixmix0303 »

Yes, it's pretty neat living so close to the park, as I drive down Washington Street right past the helix quite often. :o Good way to pass the off-season. :)
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

I do the same.

I used to live in Park City, IL before moving to Zion. At the time, I was married as well. So, my wife would send me to the store, and would wonder why it would take me 2 hours to get a gallon of Milk! :lol: This of course only worked while the park was open. She finally got "wise" to the plan, and made sure she was with during the season to make sure I did not take a quick stop for a coaster ride! :lol:

In the off-season, I would drive by the park almost every day. When the park was building something new (Raging Bull, Superman, Water Park, etc), I would drive by a lot more, to check on the progress of the new attraction.
===========================================
Mr. Brian Plencner
SFGAm Employee: 1988-1992
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Thanks, Jeff, for sharing your off-season glimpse at Gurnee. The only time that I have seen Gurnee in the off-season was a traumatic experience. I had been to Chicago in December of 1984 to attend a class. I stayed for the weekend and made arrangements to meet up with my Lead from Eagle's Flight. We took an off-season pass by the park just to see the place again. From the back of the park on Washington, we looked in shock at the horrible sight of Eagle's Flight in the process of being taken down. :-(

Steven
SFGAmfreak4life
Willard's Whizzer

Post by SFGAmfreak4life »

There is an Applebee's near the park and when you enter there is a picture on the wall of ShockWave. It's a picture or some kind of construction being done on a loop. I think it's a picture of the dismantling.