The Edge

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

Steven,

What in the world have you done with three of the Sky Whirl's cabins from SC? I'd love to come to one of your dinner parties....I bet you have quite the collection too!

Jeff
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

steven wrote:Brian,

Do you know where on Sky Whirl that bolt was used?

Steven
I'm not really sure. My guess would be it was one of the bolts that held the tower itself together, or maybe on that held the tower to the base.

I know the ends of the bolts were cut off of wherever they were on the ride, if that helps any.
===========================================
Mr. Brian Plencner
SFGAm Employee: 1988-1992
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

JW65 wrote:What in the world have you done with three of the Sky Whirl's cabins from SC?

Hi, Jeff,

Well, it was such an "adventure", that I've been thinking of writing it up as a feature article on the site. Stay tuned. Meanwhile, the photo above shows a part of the story. Behind the cabin in the photo is the central pylon of the Sky Whirl / Triple Wheel.

Steven
SFGAmLover
Yankee Clipper

Post by SFGAmLover »

Wow. I can't believe they went from asking for so much $$ to just scrapping the ride and letting people take things for free. Wish I had been there at the time... with a Ryder truck, of course! 8)
WARNING: This message was composed on a computer in a household where peanuts and peanut products are served.
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

Steven,

Cut to the chase... (LOL) What have you done/will be doing with these cabins? Did you get them for free if you were willing to haul them away?

I am curious! Jeff :D
Last edited by JW65 on Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

Was is the status of the Gurnee Sky Whirl? Was it scrapped as well?
Tanya
Willard's Whizzer

Post by Tanya »

If they were giving them away I wish I had known. I would have sent my Dad over there with a crew to grab whatever they could have.

Steven, next time this happens, ya gotta let me know!
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Jeff: Wait for the story to come out! (Hint: They are currently in storage.)

Redfishpaw: Gurnee Sky Whirl was also scrapped. :-(

Tanya: Sure! But, they have no more Sky Whirls lying around to scrap anymore. :-(

Steven
Tanya
Willard's Whizzer

Post by Tanya »

Nah Steven, I'm talking about ANYTHING!

I, too, am curious what you will do with them.
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

steven wrote: Redfishpaw: Gurnee Sky Whirl was also scrapped. :-(

Steven
It's hard to believe some other park wouldn't want a sky whirl. I would think that Six flags could have easily put it in one of their other parks. It was never a favorite of mine (It was my mom's favorite), but I think that it was a great family ride that another park could have benefit from.
Shockwavegirl
Yankee Clipper

Post by Shockwavegirl »

While I worked at the Gurnee park in '96 I knew someone who worked there, part of the reason they got rid of it and didn't relocate other than it was an old ride that wasn't getting ridden much, had to do the the "unsavory" buisness going on in those cages and the employees ended up picking up the "evidence'. I will leave it to your own imagination as to what it is about.
SFGAmLover
Yankee Clipper

Post by SFGAmLover »

:shock: The nerve of people. Kind of disturbing. :shock:
WARNING: This message was composed on a computer in a household where peanuts and peanut products are served.
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

FYI

Getting back to the original topic of this thread......I just won an ebay auction for an orginal Gurnee MGA "I went over the" Edge pin from 1984.
:D

Also, Steven, we are all waiting to hear what you'll be doing with your cabins from Sky Whirl....Tell us the full story!

Jeff
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

JW65 wrote:FYI

Getting back to the original topic of this thread......I just won an ebay auction for an orginal Gurnee MGA "I went over the" Edge pin from 1984.
:D

Jeff
I saw that auction the other day. At the time, I think it was only 25cents plus shipping. Congrats! :D
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

JW65 wrote:Also, Steven, we are all waiting to hear what you'll be doing with your cabins from Sky Whirl....Tell us the full story!
Jeff,

Patience! :-)

Steven